Card scraper better than sandpaper?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Before dropping a small fortune on scrapers, has anyone had any success with making them from old saw blades? I have several of those lying around......

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mine is like that.
1592619109396.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Before dropping a small fortune on scrapers, has anyone had any success with making them from old saw blades? I have several of those lying around......
Yes, I have couple that are made from an old saw plate. They work well. I kinda like the hasty holder that MIke has made. I’m going to try that, I hold them by hand right now and my hands do get tired.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, I have couple that are made from an old saw plate. They work well. I kinda like the hasty holder that MIke has made. I’m going to try that, I hold them by hand right now and my hands do get tired.
Are we talking circular saw blade or hand saw? I have both but the circulars are mostly thin kerf carbide tipped that wouldn't flex much. Got a few of the thicker non carbide older blades too, and either one could be cut easily. But I'd think you would rather have a hand saw blade because it would flex more.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are we talking circular saw blade or hand saw? I have both but the circulars are mostly thin kerf carbide tipped that wouldn't flex much. Got a few of the thicker non carbide older blades too, and either one could be cut easily. But I'd think you would rather have a hand saw blade because it would flex more.
If you can flex even a thin kerf circular saw blade as a scraper then I’d be a little afraid of you. I was speaking of handsaw plate cut as a scraper. Now I have played with fresh cut glass, and it makes a great scraper, but no flex. I’d be be more inclined to make marking knife blades and things of that nature out of a circular saw blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS