Carbide tool handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I decided to make a set of carbide lathe tools. I turned the handles today. While they are only 16 inches long this is the longest I can turn on my little Rikon lathe. I'm very happy with the way they turned out.

image212.jpg

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
Bill,

I am using 1045 hot rolled 1/2 inch steel bar. It's available on Amazon for $15 for 3 ft. I cut the bar into 12" pieces. I plan to have 8.5 inches extending beyond the handle. I'm not sure aluminum bar has the strength required for this type tool. I purchased the cutters from azcarbide.com. The cutters are available from a number of sources but I didn't want to buy quantity and azcarbide had individual cutters for a reasonable price. I'll post pictures once I complete the tools. I'm building 3 tools round, 2" radius and square. The cost is about $14 for each tool not including the wood for the handles.

Jim

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'd be interested in how you do the shaping on the cutter holding end of the bar. I've made some of these myself and I'm always interested in how others go about it.

Rick M

New User
Rick
For the diamond I just ground it flat and it stays in place.
- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I'm planning on a small relief cut on the top with a hack saw, grinding the top flat, drill and tap the 8-32 hole. I'll smooth out the rough edges with a file. I Think I'll just lightly sand the metal and maybe put a light coat of BLO to keep it from rusting.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I ordered some new cutters from AZCarbide on Friday night, they shipped Saturday morning. I got like 6 email confirmations including a note from the owner thanking me for my order. A bit overkill on the communication but I'm happy and you can't say the guy isn't on the ball.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
Rick,

i ordered mine monday evening 1/19 and they shipped 1/20. The down side is that they come via USPS so you really don't see tracking (accurately) or really know when they will arrive. The tracking still shows I'll receive them on 1/23 and last update they were in Phoenix. :)

On a positive azcarbide only charges $2 shipping!!

where did you order your original cutters?

Jim

Rick M

New User
Rick
AZCarbide in 2013. First time I ordered from their eBay store. This time straight from their website.
- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
Here are the finished cutters!!!
square, round and 2" radius. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but I'll bet I get my $40 worth!

image.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim,
Those are VERY nice!
Please remember to enter these into the February contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS