caps for fence posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
Hi Folks,
I have been working on fencing in my yard and now need to finish off the posts.

The posts are 4x4 pressure treated, everything else is Cypress (gorgeous wood from Ivey at Beaver Branch Sawmill). I am wondering if anyone has made caps themselves and what experiences you can share. The last time I built a fence like this (25 years ago) I used pyramid shaped caps that sat flat on the posts. They did not last long (they started warping and cracking I think). I don't remember what the last ones were made of, but based on my salary 25 years ago I would say they were the cheapest available :)

Alternatively, if anyone has bought caps and wants to share that experience please post. I kind of like the idea of copper caps, but I have not thought enough about that yet.

Here is a picture:

Fence.jpg

Some of the posts need their tops flattened, I will get on them with the belt sander before I cap them.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
what about the vinyl caps? I know they are just white but they fit over the vinyl 4 x 4's :wsmile:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
How about flashing, tin snips and proper nails (copper for copper, aluminum for aluminum)?

If you just want to keep the birds off, partially drive a bunch of nails (stainless) into the top.

Glennbear

Glenn
Metal caps may be problematic since the copper in the current generation of PT lumber reacts with aluminum.:confused_

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The secret to making wooden caps is to make them so the bark side is DOWN. Since yours will most likely be natural, then you won't be priming them. Otherwise, prime and first coat paint before installing. Set with a bead of caulk. If overhang is large enough, route a drip channel on underside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS