Can't see the second page of two page threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
This evening I logged in to check out posts, and selected the "new posts" menu.

A long list of threads showed up (I haven't been on-line in 2 days), and so I started perusing them.

Typically I'll start at the top, read each post while I scroll down to the bottom, and then select the next "page".

On two different posts, when I selected page 2, it took me to that page, and then immediately brought back the first page. Several repeats and the same thing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Me too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
same here
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_2; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
+ 1 :cry_smile

Danny
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, I think you are reporting on a know bug I'm working on.

Just so I'm clear, you are talking about going to the second (or 3rd or 4th etc) page while reading posts in a specific thread?

I checked, and all of you who reported this are running in Hybrid mode.

Read on only if you wanna know why, otherwise, sleep well knowing the issue is being worked on. For now, I'd suggest either switching to Linear Mode or using the scrolling box of posts to navigate.

Long explanation:

This bug exists in Hybrid mode only. Has to do with what Steve and I discussed as being a "logical issue" with Hybrid mode.

If you look in the scrolling box that lists the posts, you'll see levels of replies. It happens if someone replies to a specific post.

Original Post (OP)
- Reply1 - OP
- Reply2 - OP
Reply3 - OP
### Reply4 - Reply3
### Reply5 - Reply3

- Reply6 - OP
etc etc

So, what happens is if you clicked on "Reply3 - OP", it opens that post and the replies to it (Reply4 and 5). It also renumbers Reply3 as #1.

We have a global site setting of 15 posts per page. So if there were 16 replies to Reply3, you'd then see the Page 1 of 2.

Now comes the rub, Reply3 becomes what is called an Anchor post. BTW, the Original Post is also an Anchor Post. Its done that way so it becomes the first post you see. Due to rules in vbSEO, the anchor post is attached to the url.

Page 1 looks like this: index.php#postReply3-OP
Page 2 looks like this: index2.php#postReply3-OP

Thats the problem. Page two has the Anchor Post defined as part of the URL. The way that gets handled is when you go to "Page 2", it loads, and then jumps to the Anchor Post. Sadly, when there is more than one page, it jumps back to the top and blamo, you see this behavior.

I thought I found a fix, but it broke something else. Classic grief.....

I think we'll end up having to disable some parts of vbSEO and maybe change some code to allow the behavior of going to the next page while in hybrid mode.

I checked some other sites such as sawmill creek. They run in hybrid mode but do not use vbseo to manage the urls.

Without vbSEO we'd have some poor results from Google Searches. So its really something we want to keep.

Its not looking simple, so please bear with me while I work on it.

Thanks,
Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I had noticed the same issue. Thanks for your efforts to resove it. Hope it does not take to long.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)

pbaileyjr

New User
Paul
Jim, you must be the resident "computer geek"... it's good to have you around... Thanks
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, Very important -- I am trying to get to the 2nd page so I know when to go to the Flying Saucer for beers.:eek:ccasion1 I do not know how I got into hybrid mode so I tried to shift to linear.
I went to user control panel and then edit options. I changed from hybrid to linear and then selected save changes. I then got this V message:
"You did not enter the correct format for the Where does wood come from? field. Please read the field description for the expected format.":icon_scra
I really do know that trees is the answer unless your talking about big box furniture.

<!-- / main error message -->Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; Media Center PC 3.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
To switch to linear mode, go to

"User Settings"

"Edit Options"

Scroll down to "Thread Display Mode"

In the drop down box select "Linear-Oldest First" (or Newest first)

This is the part I tried to recreate just now but couldn't do it. Down at the very bottom of the page there is a thing that says "Where does wood come from?"

Hopefully I was allowed to share that last part as it might be a security measure. If I wasn't, feel free to moderate.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Last edited by a moderator:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Just for those curious, this is a vbulletin/vbseo issue that (for a change) transcends browers :)

It affects anyone using Hybrid Mode. Trent nailed one way to fix it.

For the other way, Joe took this great screen shot. Open any thread and at the first post, you can use this menu to change it.

Capture.JPG

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Same issue here.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks to Steve Coles upgrades, looks like this bug might be gone.

Thanks,
Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090803 Firefox/3.5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS