Cane Chair Repair?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
There's a school in Asheville that teaches caning! The Silver River Center for Chair Caning. Really nice people too, will talk to you for hours, and they have a nice caned furniture museum too. They also do work on spec if you just want to send it away and have it come back beautiful.

https://silverriverchairs.com/

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Years back an antique restorer friend agreed to re-cane a family heirloom for me under the sole condition that I never disclose who did it. He got so he hated it because he would lose money on every job no matter what the charge. He could have bought the pre-woven stuff and pounded it not a groove, but that level of furniture construction he left to others. He did only the type of caning that went through the holes.

Robert is right. You'll have a lifetime of business or at least all the business you'll want in your life.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check with State Fair office and see who in Village of Yesteryear does caning. Seems like I remember him being in Clayton

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
They do caning demonstrations at Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mile post 177 or thereabouts, north at Meadows of Dan, US 58.

The colors are beautiful right now so it might be a good weekend drive and you might find some leads from the rangers there or some tips on how to do it.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
There is no "groove" in this chair to attach the cane. Holes only, may just cover the seat and back with cloth or something, I don't want to drop a bunch of time and money into this project.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is no "groove" in this chair to attach the cane. Holes only, may just cover the seat and back with cloth or something, I don't want to drop a bunch of time and money into this project.
That is the higher quality of cane. If you're not going to restore it correctly then make a seat out of plywood and cover that with foam and upholstery material.
Keep the chair original in case you decide to get it done right later on.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Seats took me about 3-4 hours, and I'm certain people with experience can do it a lot quicker. I bought the caning paper from Rockler and remember it being cheap for the amount of cane in a bundle. Getting the cane wet 'just so' and pulling the tension 'just so' is the major trick. Oh, and practice tying a square knot; any other knot will slip.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS