Can you cut picture frame molding?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have the wood, but not the ability to cut the profile. I am wanting to make a picture frame out of walnut. Approx. specs: 3 inch wide, 21x25.
Here is an example of what I am looking for.
Screensho.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The interior piece might be an add to the basic frame. But, to the question, you could if you have the cutter for it. Likely not a standard, so the other alterinative to to do it by hand. If you need a saml piece, then it can be done, otherwise, all choices get expensive.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Do you mean MAKE the picture frame molding profiles in your post. All the layers/bits required?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
That I did not expect, price. I had no clue, may back up and punt this project to a frame already made. Thanks for the replies.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
If you're not set on this particular pattern I probably have a similar width profile that could be run cheaper. Probably about $50 for 10'-12'.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking at the picture it seems the central part is flat. If so this would not be all that hard to make using basic router bits. Think of it as three "concentric" frames -- the inner 3/4", the flat central section at 1-1/2" and the outer 3/4". Only the inner and outer require any special routing. Make the three strips of moulding and then glue these together before you cut to length and fit. If you have a router table I suggest you experiment using a cheaper substitute (e.g., poplar). You should be able to get pretty close to the profile.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
The picture was giving to me as an example of what was wanted, does not have to exact. But router work is my weak point in woodworking. I can do very basic stuff with a router, but changing bits to get a certain profile, tried that in the past, failed.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It could be built up from separate pieces. A little tricky to align, but can be done.

Not worth the time and effort, just buy a frame.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here you go. I drew the profile to use common router bits with 1/4" shank. Even if you don't already have these profiles you can find them at most hardware stores. You will need a router table. Cut the profiles first and then the rabbets.

One of the nice things about this approach (i.e., three pieces) is you don't have to use the same wood for each. For example, you could make the inner and outer sections from walnut and use maple in the center. Walnut with a piece of curly maple would look especially nice this way.

Custom picture frames are expensive, especially one that is 3" wide and walnut. If you aren't up for making it yourself another option is to buy a larger frame with a profile you like, take it apart, cut it to size and reassemble. You can often find frames very cheap at yard sales or estate sales.

IMG_2783.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS