Can not decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
I currently have a Ryobi lunch box planer thats actually given me great service but its starting to show its age. I am starting a new project so I figgured I would go ahead and buy a new planer.

I did some research and decided on the Dewalt 735 and actually have it sitting in the back of my SUV but now I am having second thoughts.

On my Ryobi I kept it under the table and pulled it out when needed, but this one is heavier and it seems I will need a stand. That option is about 100.00. I also think that I would need the additional folding tables for another 44.00. This brings the cost up to the 700ish range.

It looks like I can get a 15" Grizzley G0453 for only a couple hundred more delivered.

What do you guys think? The LOML has consented to either but I don't want to over buy. (a couple hundred is significant to me)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Mark, I know of a few people that have found that machine in pawn shops and saved significantly over the new price, often in nearly new condition, too. that may bring your total cost well under $500 including the stand and extension tables... just a thought, because your Ryobi is still operational

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
If you use it often enough to justify using it as a stationary tool as opposed to a table top, I would buy a 15". I was in the same dilemma and was seriously looking at the the DeWalt 735, which is a great finishing planer, but I do a lot of clean up on rough stock. Just before I bought the DW an old Powermatic M15 came up for sale (great price) and I bought it.
I've never looked back. If the Grizz 15" fits your needs and price point, I would buy it, I think that you will never regret THAT deecision.

Thats my .02 worth.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

DavidF

New User
David
I have the 735 sitting on a B&D workmate as an almost permanent machine, but it does mean that I "could" move it if I wanted to, even take it out side if I had a very long piece to plane. Don't only think about the width you might plane, but the length too. You would kick yourself if the first piece you worked was too long to use the 15" "big" planer without moving it.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
As most of these folks know, I'm a pretty big fan of the 735. I mounted mine on a portable bench (casters) and just built up to the planer openings with some scrap, thus saving the cost of the fold down in/out tables. Seems to work fine.

I rarely need to plane anything in excess of 12" so it works for me.

FWIW

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
First of all, as far as portability goes, I can roll my jointer around on the factory wheels. If the Grizz doesn't have factory wheels you can always put it on rollers. Second of all, if you wait around for a pawn shop deal/ used deal for the DeWalt realize that I got my Powermatic used for $400.
It sat on Craigs List for 4 days @ $700 and nobody bought it, I offered $400 and he took it. Good deals can be had on alot of machines, if the Ryobi still works I would look for a deal to come along, just as Pete says.

By the way PM 15" footprint is not much larger than a DW 735 w/extensions.

Jimmy:)

Glennbear

Glenn
I have the DW735 which I chose after much research. I think I have solved the extension table and semi movable dilemmas. I purchased a Ryobi miter saw stand at BORG for $99 and I think it will fufill my needs for the planer. The stand will easily handle the weight and just about any length of stock I wish to plane. If it becomes too much of a bear to move on the stand legs I will be making a long roller base with angled shallow recesses to accomodate the legs. For the most part I will be keeping it one spot anyway.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For basically the same money, you can have either a YUGO, or a F-250. Both will haul wood, but one will haul a LOT more. I don't see any choice there. I have a Delta 22-540, Rockwell 13" (similar to Alan's beast), and a Delta 15" The 22-540 isn't even in the same league. The Rockwell or Delta will do in five minutes what takes an hour on the 22-540. Plus they will do it all day. Forty bucks will buy a set of knives that can be sharpened several times. How much is a set of knives for the Dewalt. Pawn shop in Cary had a DeWalt yesterday when I was in there.

Nativespec

New User
David
I would buy a more powerful planer (used) if you have a budget. My 735 was OK, but I would have just killed it if I kept using it(I do not care for plastic on machinery). The Jet JJP12 I bought gives me less snipe, noise and aggravation (but it is a little pricey).

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors