Can I store wood under my shed?

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Just finishing up my shed by this weekend. My lot slopes so the back end of my shed is about 4' off the ground. I was thinking of building something underneath to hang down so I could store wood under there. I have about 300bf of 4/4 walnut. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? It would not get any direct sun or water on it. I plan to frame around the base of the shed and back it with chicken wire and lattice so no animals can get under there. Shed will not be climate controlled either. If this is possible can I stack the boards on each other and not sticker it? Wood is completely dry.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Why not try a test run? Rig something up to keep a couple of boards off the ground, check the moisture content, then place them under for a month or two. If the boards store the same moisture content or close to same, you're good to go. If not, you haven't invested too much into it.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Why not try a test run? Rig something up to keep a couple of boards off the ground, check the moisture content, then place them under for a month or two. If the boards store the same moisture content or close to same, you're good to go. If not, you haven't invested too much into it.

Wood needs to be moved asap unfortunately.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you paid for that 4/4 walnut - it would pay off for you to leave one end of that storage area open so that you get natural air flow in and around the stored wood. You definitely should sticker between each piece when you store it - whether that is inside a climate controlled area or outside under your shed.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The humidity will tend to be higher close to the ground. How much higher depends on the soil in that area. If you have good airflow, it may not make a lot of difference. But good airflow would include stickering the lumber, I think. But it is all a guess.

I store wood in my unconditioned shop despite the humidity level in SC. I haven't had problems. My shop also flooded a couple times while houses across the street were under construction. I had a couple inches of water in there. I had rust on tools but no detectable damage to the wood - which was on the wall, well above the water - but still exposed briefly to really high humidity.

Even without direct sunlight you will get sun bleaching of walnut. But only on the surface. I would do it, I don't think it will be an issue. But it depends some on the wood. If it is especially dear to you and would be a huge issue if it warped badly, I would find a different way. If it is just the cost of the wood, I think the risk is low and I would do it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
At least put down some plastic sheeting on the ground to prevent water vapor condensing on the bottom of the stack.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
At least put down some plastic sheeting on the ground to prevent water vapor condensing on the bottom of the stack.

The underside of my shed is completely open right now. I am going to frame around it and add some kind of mesh/chicken wire and then lattice over it for looks. It will have complete air flow all around it. Adding plastic wouldnt do anything. It's not sealed like a crawl space. Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to store it under there.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I wouldn't use that space for storage. Where is your 300 bf of walnut stored now and why does it have to be moved immediately? Could you put it elsewhere instead of under your shed?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It will work, because I did the same under my deck a few years back. The wood does need to be stickered, tho, and spraying it with a boric acid solution will minimize the attack of borer bugs. If you don't sticker it, moisture will accumulate between the board faces.

If you are building a hanging rack to hold the wood, you may be able to slide them in on their side edges instead of stickering if you leave a little space between them. This will probably result in a little more warpage, but you won't get mold and fungus on them like piling them flat.

Regardless, when you go to retrieve them, be on the alert for snakes, and make enough commotion so they retreat off to a safe space. Mice like to build nests in protected areas like this, and the snakes come looking for food. Same goes for birds, but most don't nest that close to the ground.

Spraying the underside of the shed with the cheap old oil based Thompsons water seal or WD-40 will keep the paper wasps and mud daubers from building nests for several years. They get upset when you disturb them.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I air dry a lot of wood and providing air flow is a must and natural flow is best/cheaper. As others have said - it is not a good idea. If you are determined to do it you should use a fan to move air and check the wood moisture content and check for mold regularly.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS