Can I install a water heater without soldering the pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
I just took down my old water heater. The inlet and outlet pipes were soldered so I had to hacksaw them.

I don't have a torch for soldering pipes. Is there a coupler or something I can use instead?

pirate71

New User
Evans
I ain't a plumber and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express but I did put in a hot water heater and run some plumbing lines using shark bite connectors and pex. No soldering involved just get the right shark bite connectors for the application and slide them on. You can use any combination of copper pipe and pex and shark bites will work.

Mine have been on for about 2 years and I've had no leaks...just make sure you clean the copper with sand paper before pushing the shark bite on.

Evans

DaveD

New User
Dave
You can use compression couplings. The borgs even sell a kit that has 2 3/4" compression fittings, 2 nipples for the tank, the teflon tape and two flex pipes that are about 18" long each.

Charlottend

New User
Brian
You can use compression couplings. The borgs even sell a kit that has 2 3/4" compression fittings, 2 nipples for the tank, the teflon tape and two flex pipes that are about 18" long each.

Happen to have a link? Couldn't find it on their sites...

BRADBILL58

New User
Bill
Go to the homedepot site, www.homedepot.com, and search for water heater kit, there are several options there. I'd use the flex pipe out of the water heater, then switch to the shark bite to connect to the copper pipe. As discussed earlier, just mark the length of the flex to the copper pipe, clean up the pipe(a little sand paper should do it), then press on the shark bite connector. Just be sure you have the correct male to female ends to connect.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plumbers are becoming increasingly more accepting to Shark Biter and other means when tying into existing work or repairing old. Solder fittings are far less expensive, but if the old pipe isn't completely dry (or you don't have any white bread) these new fittings assure a successful connection. Nothing more frustrating than trying to get a joint to take solder when steam or water is coming out of it. As with any connection like this, make sure the pipe is clean, devoid of burrs, and round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS