can bowed boards be salvaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimist

New User
Joel
I'm getting ready to glue up a tabletop from cherry. I have some nice straight, but boring, cherry and some really purty figured cherry that's less than straight. It'll be a large top (7.5' diameter) and 1" thick. I plan on ripping each piece to approx 3" widths. Is it possible to use the bowed cherry by sandwiching it between straight boards for glue up? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Joel

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Personally, I think you're asking for trouble. The best way to salvage bowed (crooked, warped, twisted, cupped, wind, etc.) lumber is to cut it into shorter lengths, then dress it to take out most of the problem. I'd save that highly figured Cherry for a smaller project.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you use them I would think you would need biscuits or dowels to help lock them in place. The other option is to give them to me. As a scroller I love short pcs of wood. :wsmile:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I'm getting ready to glue up a tabletop from cherry. I have some nice straight, but boring, cherry and some really purty figured cherry that's less than straight. It'll be a large top (7.5' diameter) and 1" thick. I plan on ripping each piece to approx 3" widths. Is it possible to use the bowed cherry by sandwiching it between straight boards for glue up? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Joel

Joel,

How long are they? How thick are they? How much are they bowed?

bobby g

optimist

New User
Joel
Joel,

How long are they? How thick are they? How much are they bowed?

bobby g

The ones I'm eyeballing are between 6 and 8 feet, all 1" thick and bowed about 1/2 inch in either direction...sometimes both :) Maybe if I sandwiched the 2-3" bowed ones between even wider (4") straight pieces instead of equal widths so it wouldn't be a fight between equals?

Thanks for comments all. If I have 0% chance of success, I'd rather stop now. But if you've won this battle before, I'm all ears. Biscuits, cleats...everything is in play.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I would not say there is 0% chance of it working, but I think there is a pretty good chance you will end up with a top that is not flat. If I was going to attempt that, I'd probably use splines the full length of the boards. But for the amount of time & effort you're going to put into that table, why take a chance? Use the straight boards for the table. Save the bowed boards for something where you can cut them down into shorter pieces which will lessen the effect and allow you to take out the bow on the jointer/planer.

optimist

New User
Joel
Think I'll heed the words of wisdom and save the bowed stuff for the skirt. I found a good deal on some quartersawn cherry anyway. Which leads me to another post...

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS