Can anyone tell me what these are?

debgreene

New User
Deb
Hi guys,

I'm slowly setting up a workspace and getting some tools online as I need them. I'm restoring an old Rockwell lathe and it came with a couple of attachments, but being new to turning I don't know what they are -- the pictures are attached

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 270

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Deb,
The second pic is a spindle steady rest. If you're turning a long spindle, the center can begin to flop out of round while spinning. You would slip the steady rest over the end then with the end of the piece in the live canter, lock the steady rest down to the bed ways them advance the three legs till they just touch the piece. That will keep it from flopping off center as it spins up to speed. The first pic appears to be a duplicator, but I can't really tell from the pic. I'd need another angle or two. Does the mechanism at the far left end in the pic slide back and forth on the rod? if so, look for a way to attach another already turned spindle and then let a stylus follow the finished piece while the moving cutter cuts on the spinning piece in the lathe. Does that make sense???

debgreene

New User
Deb
Yes!!! It does. I think the left side should move but it's a little rusty. And the spindle steady rest makes sense given the lathe came with such a long bed. Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Yes, the first photo is a lathe duplicator. I have a Rockwell that looks just like it. Purchased in early 70's.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The 'duplicator' is a 46-840.
Manual is here Delta Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - No. 46-840 Wood Turning Duplicator for 11" and 12" Wood Lathes | VintageMachinery.org

Its pretty much a scraper tool. I've had a few over the years and never got the hang of them.

The steady rest may or may not be satisfactory. Those I had made in years past using ball bearings didn't work as I had hoped. turns out that wood would roll against the steel bearings and compress making constant adjustments the norm. Newer ones with soft rubber in line skate wheels seem to work better.

I mention these observations in case you're new to turning and don't know what to expect.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Deb, my old lathe was a Powermatic 90 and I made a steady rest for it. I used rollerblade skate wheels but I built mine with 4 legs if I recall. Three legs are probably sufficient.

debgreene

New User
Deb
The 'duplicator' is a 46-840.
Manual is here Delta Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - No. 46-840 Wood Turning Duplicator for 11" and 12" Wood Lathes | VintageMachinery.org

Its pretty much a scraper tool. I've had a few over the years and never got the hang of them.

The steady rest may or may not be satisfactory. Those I had made in years past using ball bearings didn't work as I had hoped. turns out that wood would roll against the steel bearings and compress making constant adjustments the norm. Newer ones with soft rubber in line skate wheels seem to work better.

I mention these observations in case you're new to turning and don't know what to expect.

Thanks Bob

awldune

Sam
User

At a glance, it appears that it would be simple to swap out those plain bearings for skate wheels (basically just a bearing with a solid "tire" on it.)

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
At a glance, it appears that it would be simple to swap out those plain bearings for skate wheels (basically just a bearing with a solid "tire" on it.)

Maybe, maybe not. The 608 size skateboard bearing is 8mm bore x 22 mm wide x 7mm thick. The bore is barely over 5/16". If the existing component geometry is there, you're good. Small wheels are 56 mm diameter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS