Can anyone recommend someone to refinish furniture in the Cary/Raleigh area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Long story short, I took a class with someone here in NC last month and made a few pieces of furniture. At their suggestion, I had them finish the pieces. Unfortunately, they came out a hot mess. Parts of the finish are sanded through in some areas, there are dents where the clamps were when it was glued up, color is uneven, one of the legs is chipped at the bottom, you name it. Looking at the pictures, I wish I could say the difference is the lighting, camera, or whatever, but it's not. For those who know me, I am a perfectionist and there's no way I can look at this every day.

I'm not sure they are even worth redoing, but I wanted to get an idea of what it might cost. Anyone have someone they can recommend? I wish I had the time to fix it right, but work has me crazy busy through next year. On the plus side, it's nice to know I can do a better job than some professionals!

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 95

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks pretty rough, were they trying to make it look antiqued?

i don't know if Mike Shelly is still taking on refinishing work, but he is one of the best.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Hi Mike!
Unfortunately, it is not supposed to be antiqued, but I did think about "distressing" it and calling it a day.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Penders Antiques and Refinishing north raleigh 919-876-5735 Did several pieces for me years ago - very happy

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil. I'll give them a call and see about bringing the tables in for an estimate. Still not sure that they are worth investing any more money into, but I'll see what they will charge to redo them.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yikes, rough looking and shoddy is an understatement! It'll be interesting to hear if they can be salvaged at a reasonable fee and what is required to do it.

What kind of wood was used originally for the tables? It looks kind of like oak.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
That looks pretty rough, were they trying to make it look antiqued?

i don't know if Mike Shelly is still taking on refinishing work, but he is one of the best.

I used Mike Shelly a few years ago to refinish a few pieces that belonged to my mom, and he did a fantastic job. Even carved a piece that was missing off of the mirror. I agree he does excellent work!

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Yikes, rough looking and shoddy is an understatement! It'll be interesting to hear if they can be salvaged at a reasonable fee and what is required to do it.

What kind of wood was used originally for the tables? It looks kind of like oak.

Jeff, it is mahogany.

PM sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS