Can a dust collector be used as a central vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

New User
Dan
My girlfriend's mother's house was nearly completed when her husband, who designed its vast majority, died suddenly. The house is designed for a central vac system but the central vac itself was never purchased. We've all come upon hard times and it doesn't seem likely that any of us is going to invest $1000 in a vac system. Given that there are no carpets involved (wonderful wide reclaimed oak beams as hardwood floors), would a dust collector hooked up to the central vac ports be an inexpensive solution to this problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

How much horse-power would it take to thoroughly clean a 2000 sq/ft house?
What could some of the risks be?
Am I a frugal genius or is this a bad idea?

-Dan

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dust collectors & vacuum systems are based on different designs. DCs are designed to move a large volume of air at a relatively light static pressure/vacuum. While the dust collector may carry a lot of sawdust away from your saw, it will not have enough negative pressure to pull lint/dust from a throw or bare floor and then transport it through a ~1-1/2" corrugated hose 20+- feet long and then a myriad of 2" pipe. You'd be better off getting a large shop vac & connecting it to the piping than using a DC.
JMTCW

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
+1 what Dennis said. I used to install central vac systems and would say ,buy the biggest metal drummed shop vac you can find and you will be better off.
Greg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most in home vac systems use a metal contact ring at the wall outlet that completes a 24vdc circuit to start the vac. I'm sure something could be worked out with a transformer & relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS