Calling all carvers.. need sharpening pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
Any recommendations on books videos that help obtain a truly sharp edge/technique? Just acquired quite the slew of boat gouges. Anyhow, I'm starting from the ground up. Something says it ain't much like flattening, honing and sharpening a bench or mortise chisel.

Thanks,
Connor

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Connor, I have done some carving in the past, not too much recently. If your tools are bad, it'll take some work to bring them back. Once they are sharp, it's quite easy to keep them sharp assuming you take care of them and prevent them from getting nicked or damaged. I have a worksharp that I've sharpened some pretty rough looking tools to bring them back to life. You're pretty close so if you'd like to get together one evening or weekend, shoot me a PM. Michael

DannysBoy

New User
Connor
I guess I assumed based on the conversation I had witht he man who sold them to me. His late father in law was a master boat builder in Annapolis. They range from Spoon gouges up to sweeps the size of a framing chisel. I'll post some pictures after work today. Same ones that are in the classifieds right now. those are what I purchased. They are in FINE condition, just looking for pointers on upkeep and fine tuning.

thanks all

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I shape the tools on a 8" x 180 grit CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheel on my bench grinder, then use a 8" fiber wheel with a compound to hone the edge, 2nd wheel on the bench grinder. The whole process takes less than a minute and it shaves hairs.

I do architectural carving though, did not know you need carving tools to build boats. Learn something new every day.;)
IMG_0750.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS