California ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Here's a question to ponder. I just received my new Klingspore catalog. When thumbing through the finishing section I started to notice how many items were unavailable in California. I then remembered my other catalogs. Same thing. This brings up a question. How do our wood working brethren who live in the Republic of California finish anything? None of the solvents were allowed. They even said no to shellac. This brings up another question. Whats to keep someone from driving across the state line and buying what they want? Do they have "Finishing spys" looking at every shop in the state? Just pondering.

Pop
:rolleyes:

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I suspect this is more about shipping than availability. You can buy the normal finishing products at any Home Depot or Woodcraft in California.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You cannot enter the Peoples Republic Of California without going through an inspection station. I had a small container of cashew nuts on my dashboard which was confiscated. A friend of mine was travelling with his mother many years back, and had their tuna fish sandwiches confiscated. Yes, you could drive across the state line and buy whatever is outlawed in California, but you do run the risk of being arrested if you're caught. What a great place not to live!

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Inspection stations???? I have driven over the California border numerous times and have never stopped at a inspection station. Except from Mexican/US Cali.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
California is big on eliminating hazardous solvents and promoting low VOC products to save the planet and ozone layer.

Shellac is not banned in California. Many vendors state "can only be shipped ground transport within the 48 contiguous states" so we have to be careful how we interpret the California regs.

You cannot enter the Peoples Republic Of California without going through an inspection station. I had a small container of cashew nuts on my dashboard which was confiscated. A friend of mine was travelling with his mother many years back, and had their tuna fish sandwiches confiscated. Yes, you could drive across the state line and buy whatever is outlawed in California, but you do run the risk of being arrested if you're caught. What a great place not to live!

I don't think California has interstate border crossing inspection stations like the US/Mexico inspection stations. Drive to Arizona, Nevada, or Oregon and buy what you want to bring home without fear and fines.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
The "border stations" are agricultural inspection stations. They are designed to keep pests out and protect their multi-multi billion dollar ag industry. It's the same strategy the USDA imposes on international flights. And for those who haven't lived there and thus don't know, it's a great place with friendly, creative, fun-loving people, just like NC.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Jeff, Check your Klingspore catalog Both shellac & Seal Coat have the little red box under the product that states "not allowed in California"

Hi Dan, Waylon Jennings had a song about California. The title is "How Much Would You Pay To Live In LA". It sums up fairly well the opinion of most folks in the US of the
Peoples Republic Of California. I've handled hurricanes & tornados but I really don't need any earthquakes.

Pop
:thumbs_do

Jeff

New User
Jeff
[FONT=&quot]Check your Klingspore catalog Both shellac & Seal Coat have the little red box under the product that states "not allowed in California"[/FONT]

Sorry Pop you're incorrect on that point.

Went to the 2017 Klingspor catalog online and added my eyeglasses too.

p.111 Zinsser SealCoat. Logos: "No Air Ship" and "Restricted Delivery" (by truck). That's probably because of the ethanol solvent and it'd require special packaging.

p.112 Shellac flakes. No restriction on shipping.

p.112 Behkol ethanol, right below the shellac flakes has the red box.

p.2 Shipping and handling restrictions are vaguely defined and apply to certain US states with tiny icons that are hard to read.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I’ve lived, worked, went to school and frequently trained all over California and the other 49 states. No doubt CA is perhaps the state with the most natural (and varied) beauty.

While there are great people anywhere, parts of California have a certain stereotype reputation for a reason. As does NYC and many other locales.

As far as AG stations, been through them and support them 1,000% as any woodworker should appreciate the necessity. Need I mention emerald ash borers, chestnut and all the other blights affecting our entire ecosystem. My wife and I really dread the loss of any more trees.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The majority of the solvents on the planet are on the California EPA banned list. They are unfortunately limited primarily to water based finishes. I do not know California law but suspect there is no law banning transport of small quantities of finishes across state lines for personal use. However, it may be they have just not thought about it enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS