Calibrating table saws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

New User
Greg
I have a 12" Dewalt Chop Saw and 12 Craftsman Table Saw(old). Both saws will cut perfectly straight. Any attempt to change to a 45*, they will no longer cut straight. Any suggestions????

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I am going to make an *** out of myself and assume that you mean "not straight" vertically. If this is the problem, I would venture a guess that your home stop (90 deg) one is out of adjustment. Don't know where it is located on your saw but mine (PM66) is near the front gear assy. on both sides of the rack.

On the chop saw, it too has a stop for relocating the blade to 90 deg. Use a combo square to get the blade back to 90 deg. and then adjust the stop accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Mike

dpanda

New User
Dan
I'm not sure what you mean by not straight. Do you mean not straight when you are tilting the blade 45deg, or not straight making a 45 deg miter?
My assumption is that your not getting a good 45 degree miter? This will happen to me on my Craftsmen table saw if I am using only a miter gauge set to 45 degrees. This happens because the wood is being dragged on the table. Because of the drag, the wood is slightly moving from its original location. This results in cut that is a not straight.
A 45 degree table saw sled (jig), or a clamping miter gauge, will solve the problem.
On a miter saw you can get a bad 45 degree miter because the wood will move slightly when making the cut. Hold the wood tightly or clamp if necessary.
If you're cutting white baseboard trim, caulk will fix the bad cut:gar-La;
Dan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Could you please explain the problem in more detail? Maybe add a picture or two of the "NOT straight" cut?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have a 12" Dewalt Chop Saw and 12 Craftsman Table Saw(old). Both saws will cut perfectly straight. Any attempt to change to a 45*, they will no longer cut straight. Any suggestions????

I have an older 12" craftsman TS that will not go back to perfect 90 degrees if the blade has been tilted. It took a while to figure out why but the reason is build up of sawdust on the rack and pinion that moves the blade. If you clean it off it will return to the 90 degrees.

Jerry

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Calibrating table saws?
Originally Posted by Greg
I have an older 12" craftsman tablesaw that will not go back to perfect 90 degrees if the blade has been tilted. It took a while to figure out why but the reason is build up of sawdust on the rack and pinion that moves the blade. If you clean it off it will return to the 90 degrees.

You may just be better off not trusting the miter stop on your TS if you have to clean it off every time. If you only do 90 & 45 degree cuts most of the time you may want to think about keeping a speed square or drafting square close by to set the blade with. That's what I do.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I check mine with a square every time too. It only takes one big mess up to make you form habits like that.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Re: Calibrating table saws?
Originally Posted by Greg

You may just be better off not trusting the miter stop on your TS if you have to clean it off every time. If you only do 90 & 45 degree cuts most of the time you may want to think about keeping a speed square or drafting square close by to set the blade with. That's what I do.

Thus the reason I updated my table saw and kept the old one for the daddo blades-----set it 90 to the table and leave it.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS