Calendar -Need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As I mentioned in the PM to the winners, I forgot to allow for space for information.:slap: I just tried to resize and/or crop to allow for the needed space and it really doesn't work.:oops: :oops: :oops: :shocked7fl:

So I tried a different cafepress calendar format. This format is a "Vertical" format. That is each page has both the picture and the month on it. Only the front of the page has anything on it.

So, the way it would be layed out is;
topmost 8.5" would the picture
next 2.5" is the photo and user info
bottom 6" is the calendar part.

Here is an example of what the top 11" would look like.

Test_month_copy.jpg

Image 6" of calendar tacked onto the bottom.

Also please comment on the layout of the information, etc.

Thanks

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here's another thought, but I haven't tried it yet.

Only shrink the picture enough to allow for 2 lines of info.

Title

NO description
No avatar

I'll see if I can mock that up.

Monty

New User
Monty
Way too much space for title/description. Just list it like this (small, plain font):

Maple & cherry workbench. Hard maple throughout, with curly maple front apron. Cherry accents used for the draw-bored dowels and wedged through-tenons in the trestle base. Quick-release front vise and twin-screw tail vise with custom made cherry vise cover. Approximately 33x76", including a 6" tool tray. (Monty Cox)

Maybe put a small avatar to the left of that block of text. It really doesn't have to be big at all.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think I like it. I am more used to the the picture and information being the top page and the next page has the actual calendar grid on it. So what you see is two pages at a time with the fold in the center, all pages are double sided. I am sure that you've tried to use that format and if it doesn't work then I think what you're showing is the next best thing.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea, what DaveO said. Can you just put the image on the picture page (no text at all), and put the corresponding text info somewhere on the calendar page? I think I have seen plenty of calendars this way.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Yea, what DaveO said. Can you just put the image on the picture page (no text at all), and put the corresponding text info somewhere on the calendar page? I think I have seen plenty of calendars this way.
No, cafepress doesn't allow it that way:shocked7fl:

Monty

New User
Monty
I would propose something like this, maybe....

Click on that pic to see full-size (3.7 mb PNG file)

Monty

New User
Monty
Take a closer look at what I did. I slid the pic up and cropped the bottom just a little, and I didn't have to make any white borders except where the text is. The image should completely fill the page except for the text. In your version, the text is also too close to the bottom and might get cropped at the printer.

BTW - the font I used was Optima in photoshop, I think 12 point.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

I agree with Mike Davis on Post #8 -- as long as the text does not get cropped! If Monty did a wee bit of editing to shorten his description, it could fit on two lines and allow slightly larger text size.

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
I shortened the description some - it should fit on 2 lines now. FWIW, the text should not be hard to read - it will be about 1/2" tall when printed on paper.

Monty

New User
Monty
How about this?

According to Photoshop, that text block (just the text) would be 0.4" tall x 10.38" wide.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I like the avatar on left with the text paragraph flush left (ragged right) as Monty did in last post. It allows more text in less space, enabling larger point size. The text should not be smaller than 12 pt. Type size is measured on standard of 144 pts per inch and 99% of the time a capital letter is actually 1-3 points smaller than size (12 pt capital is usually about 10-11 pts tall :roll:).

Not to muddy the waters, but . . .
Will the files be submitted as jpegs, native Photoshop files, eps, tif, or pdf???

Text in jpeg or tif format is usually converted to a bitmap, that can make it look a little "fuzzy". Text saved in native (layered) Photoshop or eps is saved in vector format that ensures crispness (unless text layer is flattened). PDF files can also contain vectored text but it is imperative that graphic setting is 200 dpi or more for the pix. The PDF default is 72 dpi, but you can change that setting.

If Cafe Press will accept eps files, that is probably the best choice.

My $.02,
Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
See, I knew it. Muddy waters :eusa_sile

I know little about PNGs, except they replace gifs and are primarily used for web content. I would stick with file formats commonly used in print. And I don't think text clarity will be that bad anyway, since the calendars will be printed on digital or color printer.

PeteM is the member most qualified to address this. His knowledge is current and mine is a bit dated :lol:

HTH,
Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Take a closer look at what I did. I slid the pic up and cropped the bottom just a little, and I didn't have to make any white borders except where the text is. The image should completely fill the page except for the text. In your version, the text is also too close to the bottom and might get cropped at the printer.

BTW - the font I used was Optima in photoshop, I think 12 point.

A lot of the picture will have borders no matter what. Very have the right porportions to fill the page no matter what. Most people didn't really allow for the required crop. several of the winners aren't eve close. So for consistancy sake I was make every picture have some border on all four sides. The sample above was just to demonstrate.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
All Photos must be submitted as JPEGs or PNG. All the photos that won are jpegs.
I like the avatar on left with the text paragraph flush left (ragged right) as Monty did in last post. It allows more text in less space, enabling larger point size. The text should not be smaller than 12 pt. Type size is measured on standard of 144 pts per inch and 99% of the time a capital letter is actually 1-3 points smaller than size (12 pt capital is usually about 10-11 pts tall :roll:).

Not to muddy the waters, but . . .
Will the files be submitted as jpegs, native Photoshop files, eps, tif, or pdf???

Text in jpeg or tif format is usually converted to a bitmap, that can make it look a little "fuzzy". Text saved in native (layered) Photoshop or eps is saved in vector format that ensures crispness (unless text layer is flattened). PDF files can also contain vectored text but it is imperative that graphic setting is 200 dpi or more for the pix. The PDF default is 72 dpi, but you can change that setting.

If Cafe Press will accept eps files, that is probably the best choice.

My $.02,
Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm going to try to make it work somehow as Monty suggested, ie full bleed. We'll see how it goes. Most should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS