patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
The Subscription option offered by SketchUp is in addition to the Classic perpetual license they've always offered. They have not removed the perpetual license. The Classic license gets you SketchUp Pro and LayOut as with previous versions and also 10 GB of cloud data storage. The Subscription license is for SketchUp Pro, LayOut, SketchUp Shop, AR/VR Mobile viewer, and unlimited cloud data storage.
I thought I understood that Sketchup Make Version 17 was the last free desktop version. Is that not correct? I'm still using Version 15 because I can't open Version 17 through Remote Desktop, which is what I need to be able to do.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I thought I understood that Sketchup Make Version 17 was the last free desktop version. Is that not correct? I'm still using Version 15 because I can't open Version 17 through Remote Desktop, which is what I need to be able to do.

Yes. SketchUp 2017 Make is the last free desktop client version. I was only commenting on the the pro version because of the remark I was responding to.

As for the Remote Desktop thing, 2017 and later don't allow for dumping graphics duties to the CPU like the older ones which is why that doesn't work.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
With Sketchup having moved to a web based model requiring that you use it in a browser and with an internet connection that's no longer an option for me. I don't do cloud based anything for a long list of reasons. I understand it's possible to get your hands on Sketchup Make, the desktop based client, but that isn't being updated any longer so it's a dead end.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Jim, I understand what you're saying but if you want to think of it as a dead end road, it's a long, long road. I have SketchUp 3 installed on my computer and it works just fine. It's been 16 years since it went out of support. As I said before, it's a good thing there are choices.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Jim, I understand what you're saying but if you want to think of it as a dead end road, it's a long, long road. I have SketchUp 3 installed on my computer and it works just fine. It's been 16 years since it went out of support. As I said before, it's a good thing there are choices.

I take your point on the dead end aspect.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Is the paid version still desktop?
SketchUp Pro is still a desktop version. Currently there is no plan to change that. There is a web based version called SketchUp Shop which is also licensed for commercial use. It is not intended as a replacement for Pro.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
I have been using Alibre for the last ten years and it has become so ingrained in my building activities I use it all the time. Not only is 3D modeling a great benefit in visualization but when assembling the parts you find many minor issues that would not be caught otherwise. In effect you construct the project first in CAD. 80% of what I do is in modeling mechanical devices ie engines and ancillary items. I modeled my entire woodworking shop for a DC system, laying out all the ducting ahead of time so it would fit, a recently a set of built in shelving/cabinets for my wife's quilt studio ( her shop), a nice router bench, etc. The time spent learning it has paid off over and over. I even have used it to lay out my shop wiring, and air supply. The uses are endless.

As for a recommendation, about two years ago it looked like Alibre was going to disappear (it did not after it got some new owners). I started looking for a new system. My test for each system was how long it took to learn it to reproduce the most complicated part I had made (lots of angle surfaces, curved surfaces, holes etc). Included in the test was a comparison of the steps required vs Alibre.

I started off with Solidworks. I spent about 2 weeks learning it and then was able to reproduce my part in about two days. It took less steps, and the tools used to layout planes and surfaces was much easier. The support I got was excellent. The product was way more expensive to use than Alibre.

I next used Onshape. It is very close to Solidworks in concept so it took about a week to learn. It took about the same amount of steps, and the tools about the same as Solidworks. It however was free, if you did not mind all your work being in the public domain. If you paid a fee your was private. At the time I was trying out Onshape they were fairly new. I got excellent plus support lots of teaching vidio. I sent in a suggestion on a assembly method that I really liked in Alibre. I got a phone call several days later from some designers, the feature was in a release later. My issue was it is cloud based so no software on my machine ( I have a slow internet connection) and my files were also in the cloud. The public access did not bother me that much.

I next started to look at Fusion 360, but at the same time the new owners of Alibre announced the product was going to continue so I never got to try it fully, from my limited time ( about 3 days) of looking at it the sequences seemed a little convoluted, but like any of these systems you must take the time to learn them and at that point I had not spent much time.

My recommendation to anyone taking up a CAD system is to learn a 3D system you will never regret learning it. Most important is to learn it using available tutorials and support just go through them. My approach was to treat it as school. I spent all my time each day going through tutorials and learning it, just like being in a class. I spent a full month learning Alibre, I would suspect anyone starting from scratch should assume a similar amount of time. It was the first time I used any kind of CAD, pencil and paper until I was 62 then 3D CAD. As you saw learning Solidworks and Onshape took much less time as I had the 3D modeling concepts.

Good luck

Bob

jbush2000

New User
Mike
A lot of good software mentioned here! I'm love both Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor. Both are insanely powerful and their feature set make them really well suited to this. I personally use Siemens NX 12, and the workflow is really streamline (design, assemble, Bill of Material, stress testing, and rendering all in one software!) I used Inventor for 8 years while in robotics and loved it as well.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
It's interesting that there are so many Solidworks users reporting here. I looked into buying that a couple of years ago and the price was more than prohibitive. Much more than I have invested in all of the tools in my shop.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm currently using SketchUp Make (v. 17) and it's plenty for my needs. The SU learning curve several years ago wasn't that steep and I didn't spend months learning it. I also like a pencil and paper for quick sketches of ideas.

BTW, I also like plain english words and phrases..........

Curious to garner the opinions of kindred spirits who use CAD to work out their projects before setting board to blade.
I used to use Sketchup--a violently simple 3D modeling software. But it's simplicity is its greatest limitation and I've come to dislike it at a visceral level.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS