Cabinet use outdoors

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Does anyone have experience with cabinets being used outdoors but in a covered area? My only experience is some fairly inexpensive garage cabinets (I think from Home Depot) that have held up fine for over 10 years and I'm wondering if 're-purposed' kitchen cabinets would have the same longevity assuming they are not exposed to rain and sun (but will be exposed to humidity and changing temperatures). If you have any experience with cabinet use outdoors, please let me know. thanks.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I think they should be fine. I've had some plywood cabinets and some old pine board cabinets under a carport before with no issues. A few suggestions though: overlay doors will not stick with changing moisture levels like inset ones. I would prefer plywood over particle board but if dry either should be ok. Try to get hardware that is solid brass or other non-ferrous material. Steel will definitely rust under those conditions and brass plate won't last a whole lot longer.
Also, I have a polyethylene cabinet that I keep car washing things in because I know they will be wet. Not as easy to find on the used market but keep an eye out at the restores.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Another suggestion: if the cabinets you find are finished with a natural look, paint them. No coating holds up like an exterior paint.

bandaideman

New User
Dan
I was given a set of kitchen cabinets after being in a Kitchen for 20 years and I had them in my garage after that for 15 years and as far as I know they are still there; Sold the house moved here from Indiana

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS