Cabinet Refinishing

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Getting ready to refinish my cabinets, and everything I've read online and watched on YouTube all say sand the old finish before priming and painting... but nobody says what grit sandpaper to use. Any advice as to what I should sand it before priming?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Mdf or wood?
Our face frames are maple with MDF doors. I washed with TSP then sanded using 220 grit. I did notptime as these were already white cabinets. I sprayed the Sherwin Williams Alkyd paint (4 coats) followed by 3 coats of polyacrylate. The cabinets are very washable and have held up great for the past 3 years.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My tip is after sanding 220, wipe off with a damp cloth then close your eyes. Run your fingers over and be sure its smooth. Then you’re ready to paint.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
First, what kind of cabinet are you wanting refinish, second are you refinishing a paint to paint, or are going stain to paint, or stain to stain. third, what material are you refinishing. Fourth, what finish material are you covering and what finish material are you using to refinish. Without those little pieces of info we are going in blind. Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS