Cabinet finishes

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
I built some cabinets for our walk-in closet out of maple plywood carcasses and maple face frames. I have installed them in the closet, now I’m looking for recommendations of diy cabinet finishes. I have a small Wagner sprayer and of course brushes and rollers. What finishes do you all recommend for this application?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You definitely want a water based, non-yellowing finish.

Options would include polyacrylic, water based lacquers.

MinWax Polyacrylic would be my choice - doesn't yellow, economical, sprays well & dries super fast. I don't think I thin it.

Too late but I would have prefinished it. I don't know about spraying inside the closet, you would have to cover the bedroom with plastic and have a good exhaust fan.

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
You definitely want a water based, non-yellowing finish.

Options would include polyacrylic, water based lacquers.

MinWax Polyacrylic would be my choice - doesn't yellow, economical, sprays well & dries super fast. I don't think I thin it.

Too late but I would have prefinished it. I don't know about spraying inside the closet, you would have to cover the bedroom with plastic and have a good exhaust fan.
Thanks. I should have also stated in my post, the wife would like them to be white. I saw General Finishes has a white tinted water based enamel, does MinWax have a similar product?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have no experience with it, but I have no reason not to believe its a good product. You will have to do some checking on spraying, thinning etc.

I use mainly water based pigmented lacquer on cabinets and built ins and have been very happy with. Specifically Target Coatings. Not cheap but very good. If you go that route, allow up to a week to totally cure.

But I will tell you something, and that is brushing isn't the worst thing you could do!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris is on to something with his recommendations.

waitup

New User
Matt
We've had good luck with Sherwin Williams ProClassic, Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane, and Benjamin Moore Advance in various cabinet and built-in applications.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
INSL-X Cabinet Coat.

It's in the same class as SW Advance but dries faster. I've sprayed a couple gallons of the stuff with good results.

I prime with the BIN shellac-based primer, but that would not be needed over raw wood.

-Mark

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
INSL-X Cabinet Coat.

It's in the same class as SW Advance but dries faster. I've sprayed a couple gallons of the stuff with good results.

I prime with the BIN shellac-based primer, but that would not be needed over raw wood.

-Mark

+1 on Cabinet Coat. Made 30-odd kitchen cabinet doors & drawer fronts for our son out of poplar with MDF panels and brushed on finish. Seems to be holding up well. Levels brush marks nicely.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
General Finishes also has a water-based White Poly, which is an outstanding product. I used an Earlex sprayer on my kitchen island and it turned out beautifully. It dries quickly so you can apply several coats in a short time.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I have sprayed several gallons of Target coatings 6500 lacquer. Tintable to just about any color, beautiful finish and can be topcoated with the 9300 for an even more durable finish and adjust sheen if necessary. This would be my first choice and I have never had an issue with their products. a quart goes a long way and is ready to spray right out of the can.

If you need a rock hard finish for high wear areas you can add in their crosslinker. Watch the video on how to mix it in very slowly while stirring for a couple mins.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
For my kitchen, I settled on the S-W Emerald Poly. I am rolling and brushing as this stuff is a bit thick without a high power airless turbine. It seemed very soft and disappointing when first dry, but after a few months, it gets much harder.

I can't remember why I dismissed the Target system. Maybe because I am doing the kitchen in-situ so spray is out of the question. Maybe because of the tints I wanted. Don't remember. Ready to spray is a big deal as you can't thin water based like you can old school oil.

My vanities, as I am doing them in my shop, are going to be good old enamel. Sprayed. Left in the shop to cure for weeks in necessary.

PS, White is easy. Everyone is doing white so that is an advantage for you. Personally, that is why I am painting my kitchen cabinets. They are white and I think all this white kitchen stuff is an ugly fad no better than the dark Spanish Oak or golden oak everything fads. Bland, boring, and will seem very dated in a few years. Just my view. Even worse is appliances only in stainless and black. I could almost stomach Avocado or Harvest gold over black! I don't want my kitchen to look like a scullery.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I would second Chris_Goris on Sherwin Williams Pro Classic if the color is white.

Your Wagner would not be able to handle that though, unless you thin it considerably. The result after thinned is not desirable.

For the home job, a roller or brush would render a good finish, it has exceptional flattening properties.

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
Thanks all! We ended up going with Sherwin-Williams Emerald Urethane, thankfully they are having a sale for 35% off right now. There was a last minute change of color from white to agreeable grey. We are applying with brushes and rollers, and it has been really nice to work with. It does have a funny smell like the kids play dough, but it’s not horrible.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS