Cabinet doors on the shaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Solid Cherry doors, video shows single pass on one of my auction bought 7.5hp shapers running a 6” diameter cutter at 8,000rpm using a slow feed. No tear out, shiny finish. The cut is 1 1/2” with a back cutter included.

How many of the cabinet builders here use solid 3/4” panels? These doors are pretty heavy, some may need three hinges. Perhaps I should have gone 5/8, just did not want to turn more of the pretty Cherry into sawdust.

https://youtu.be/oMrGHfyRC74

Tried a single pass on my 3hp shaper, could not handle it.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I doe 3/4" panels 1 pass everyday. My profile has a back relief so they are flush with the frames. That's just so they go through the wide belt sander. Good looking panel!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, will that be ply or solid? How do you get to 1/2” stock?

I've used both ply and solid for 1/2" panels. If I'm starting w/ 3/4" stock, I'll usually just plane it down to 17/32", then run it through the dual drum sander for final thickness. I hate wasting that much wood, but there is not much I can do w/ very thin pieces if I resaw. If starting w/ thicker stock, I might resaw to 9/16", glue the panel together, then finish it off w/ the drum sander.

When using 1/2" (actually 15/32) ply I try to match species to species. The pic below is the upper half of a White Oak china cabinet for my daughter. I was too cheap to buy the WO ply, so I used Red Oak. Not a perfect match, but close enough for the untrained eye. W/ stacked panels like this, I also try to keep the grain pattern consistent.

IMG_2364.JPG

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
if you put a wixey or similar digital readout on that shaper you can stack your cutters and easily do your stiles rails and panels with minimal set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS