Cabinet commission **FINISHED* (UPDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

This kitchen cabinet is a commission piece. It is an odd sized piece to fit in an area to maximize space. It is going right next to a refrigerator and against a wall. The basic dimensions are 66"h x 27"d x 14"w. It will be sprayed a satin white. The materials are MDF, poplar and tempered hardboard. I still have 2 doors to make and several shelves, also a lot of sanding.

Click the pic for for pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Cabinet commission WIP (pics)

Tom that's sharp :icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Do the upper and lower cases disconnect for ease of moving? I assume the doors are for the trash can pull-out and the open space in the front lower? Are the shelves going to be adjustable?
Are you finishing it or the client?
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Commission, is that like for a PAYING customer? Nice looking cabinet. What is the cover doing off your electrical panel? Don't you know that is dangerous?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Commission, is that like for a PAYING customer? Nice looking cabinet. What is the cover doing off your electrical panel? Don't you know that is dangerous?

my hand has fully recovered from when I last had my panel cover off.... no sign of scarring at all!!! I will, however, be saving up a few things for when I next open that thing.... bravery, and a bunch of wire and 20 amp 110 and 220v sockets so I can stop plugging and unplugging machines when I am using one, or the other. this will also allow me to us the table saw and dust collector at the same time.

so what else were you doing Tom, besides working on this cool cabinet, which gave me a great idea for some kitchen storage. Working on the connections for the HVAC???

T

toolferone

What is the cover doing off your electrical panel? Don't you know that is dangerous?

Guilty as charged! Yes I was working on the electrical for the HVAC and I am wiring up an on-demand water heater for the sink. I guess I was lazy in putting the cover on since I am the only one in the shop, but I promise to put it back on ASAP.

DaveO, yes the doors are for the trash and the small lower opening. No they do not come apart although I did build them separate. It is not very heavy. The shelves will be mounted on white standards (yes I forgot to route the grooves for them, so the will be surface mounted). The customer wants me to finish it so I am looking for paid help in getting it sprayed. (hint hint any takers)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Great looking cabinet Tom, when it comes to custom work there's no substitute for craftsmanship.
The customer wants me to finish it so I am looking for paid help in getting it sprayed. (hint hint any takers)
I'll bet Travis would love to help you out, I think he is going through cabinet finishing withdrawal :rolf:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Great looking cabinet Tom, when it comes to custom work there's no substitute for craftsmanship.

I'll bet Travis would love to help you out, I think he is going through cabinet finishing withdrawal :rolf:

Oh yes, I am just dying to spray some more finish. I am wanting to spray finish sooooo bad, I might spray some tomorrow night.:swoon::swoon:

Tom it does look very very good. How did you do your face frame and attach it? Pocket holes, biscuits?

Does this match the existing cabinet style in the house?

T

toolferone

How did you do your face frame and attach it? Pocket holes, biscuits? Does this match the existing cabinet style in the house?

It is a a combination of methods. Yes some pocket holes to attach the FF together and mdf to mdf, and the toe kick base to the bottom. Mostly I just glued and brad nailed right through the front. That's the beauty of a painted piece. I just took the Bondo body filler out and plugged up all the holes &, seams, and sanded it smooth. The cabinet does not match except for the doors which will be 3/8" overlay doors rounded over.

woodguy1975

New User
John

Looks good Dude! What kind of satin white finish are you going to use?

John

RandyJ

New User
Randy

Great cabinet, Tom! I also like the trash can slider, COOL!

T

toolferone

I wish I could take credit for the trash can slide, but I borrowed it from my parents kitchen. Their cabinets are semi-stock design, so I am sure lots of other kitchens have something like this. My customer uses plastic grocery store bags for their garbage and take it out every night so they did not need anything big.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon

Plastic bags from store...

Here in Calif., they're phasing them OUT and each store is replacing them with their own cloth bags (that you have to buy)... not completely out yet... They're working on it. (but you can use any bags you want)

So, if the idea spreads across the nation, beware... Looks like a regular will work... that's good... you won't be caught short! :gar-Bi

Looks GOOD!

T

toolferone

Well I missed the 30 day window by a few days. Anyway it is done. I will be delivering it Tuesday night. A few firsts for me. My first with my new HVLP sprayer and first with water based lacquer. It was a ground up custom project. The customer will buy and install the door handles. I will try to remember to take a few pics in its final home.

Here is the link to my webpage on the cabinet

cabinet%20done%202.jpg
cabinet%20done%203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jeff...

Wow that has some really clean lines - I'm not to fond on painted funiture but that really looks nice Tom - great job there man :thumbs_up

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Excellent job Tom. I do like the the design, but really only the customer has to like it.
What are your thoughts on the water based laquer?? or did I miss that conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS