Cabinet Carcass Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

I'm going to start slow with my journey into woodworking (work is finally slowing down <or I am>) and one of the first things I'd like to build is of course the garage workshop. So, cabinet construction is something I'd like to focus on to start. Now, I've read about every book I can on the subject (the big box store how-to's, Taunton press books, web sites, etc). Now, floor cabinets seem to be well known and there are many options, but it's more a matter of compression strength so I'm not too concerned with those. However, I still have some design points and questions re: wall cabinet construction for strength when we're talking large (say 30" wide). So, here they are and I'd appreciate some feedback:

1) I like the idea of using all 3/4" plywood construction for the carcass for strength and inventory management. For the volumes I'm likely to work with it's not going to be significantly more costly than mixed thickness design. Preferred cabinet type is face frame and solid wood doors. I know there's religious arguments over sizes, nailers, 1/4 backs, etc, etc, but I'm set on this point

2) For wall cabinets, my ignorance comes into play with the best/normal method for attaching the backs to the sides to ensure that they won't pull away from the frame and fail. I've seen rabbits, dados, butt joints, biscuits, dowels, screws and pocket screws.

If I may, I'd like to hear from the experts on what is the most appropriate type of joint when you're looking for strength (I can imagine 100+ pounds getting shoved in a cabinet over time). Maybe I'm just ignorant on the holding power of any of the above joints, but input would be helpful. As I see it, here's the issues with each (note: I freely admit I may be wrong with my assumptions, hence why I'm asking for comments and advice):

a) Rabbit joint: Enhanced glue surface area and the rabbit cutting would remove any prefinish surface <thinking in the future> so I'd have wood to wood glue. Problems may be that glue joint may not hold well with the plys/voids in the plywood and would screws really work with the edges of the rabbits on the exact center line of the rabbit?

b) Dados: If the dado is at the back of the side edge (no offset), I'd have a flat back but would glue alone give me the holding power? If not, glue and screws, but then I'd have the issue of side screws showing on the end cabinets. If the dado is recessed, I'd be back to having to use nailers to fir the back out to meet the wall

c) Butt Joint: Same issue as the dado above with screws and once again, glue holding power

d) Biscuits and Dowels: From my reading, biscuits are not recommended for strength and while dowels and stub tenons have a great reputation for strength, they would seem difficult to get accurate.

e) Pocket hole screws: Everything I've read says they're stronger than hades, but you still have the issue of side screws showing (or do you go in from the back?)

I know these are probably very simple questions, but I'd like to use the garage cabinets as my training ground for furniture quality cabinets and learn the right way from the start.

Thanks for any help or comments (or pointers to books and/or web sites that could help me understand this better)

Bob Hodges
<aka Durnik>

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Unfortunately, these joints ALL work. So pick the one you want. I built a bunch of cabinets using 3/4" ply and pocket hole screws. No glue. They will last forever. When a tornado hits my street, the house will be ripped apart but the cabinets will still be intact. You can screw from the bottom, top and back so that the holes aren't visible from the side.

if you want to so it fast, butt joints, glue and brads, with a few regular screws for extra strength. If this is a learning project, I suggest tapered sliding dovetails. Or try a combination, e.g. Pocket hole screws and dados.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Unfortunately, these joints ALL work. So pick the one you want. I built a bunch of cabinets using 3/4" ply and pocket hole screws. No glue. They will last forever. When a tornado hits my street, the house will be ripped apart but the cabinets will still be intact. You can screw from the bottom, top and back so that the holes aren't visible from the side.

if you want to so it fast, butt joints, glue and brads, with a few regular screws for extra strength. If this is a learning project, I suggest tapered sliding dovetails. Or try a combination, e.g. Pocket hole screws and dados.

++1 on this advice... Having owned a cabinet business for a few years, I used all the above before the invent of pocket screws. However, I recently built shop cabinets and used only pocket screws and glue with absolutley no issues. I even assembled the face frames using them. They are strong, reliable, and easy to use!! As I have learned... Work smarter not harder!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You could make a 3/8 x 3/8 dado 3/8 from the back edge all around the cabinet and a matching rabbet on the back panel. Once this is assembled there is no taking it apart without the use of overwhelming destructive force.

JohnW

New User
John
The most important thing for me when building cab boxes is SQUARE. All joints mentioned will result in square and strong boxes assuming the grooves or dados or rabbits or straight cuts were milled correctly using a blade that gives smooth bottoms, and you use a well planned cut list and make all cuts on parts with the same dimension at the same time using the same set up. Having all parts exactly the same dimension is more important that the type of joint.

I think pocket screws are the easiest method because most parts are cut straight without dados and rabbits. That being said, I prefer dados and rabbits because they allow a bit of fine adjustment during assembly...just in case my parts are not perfect. And because i like setting up and cutting dados more that clamping and drilling holes. Pocket holes are excellent for face frame construction and I can't imagine me ever using any other method for FF.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are a number of articles in Shop Notes about how to effectively build shop cabinets. I believe there is a DVD available with all of their back issues. Might be a worthwhile investment. Along with Shop Cabinets they always have lots of articles about other useful shop add-ons and add-ins. No advertising. One of my favorite magazine subs.

I basically built their one-wall workshop on two walls. It starts out with some purchased cabinet parts and adds onto them with a lot of MDF. You're welcome to come by and look at what I've done which isn't perfect, but functional. If I were to do it over, I'd build more custom cabinets for specialized storage similar to what is in Bill Clemmons' shop.

Also, keep an eye out for posts from Phil S. He often has cabinets from demo jobs for free or very cheap available. You just have to pick them up when they are available.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have built a number of both wall and base cabinets using 3/4" plywood and a combination of rabbets, dadoes and pocket screws in their construction. I make solid wood face frames joined with pocket screws on their back side and a 3/4" x cabinet height dado in the back of the stiles set in 1/8" running their full height (this insure the cabinet will remain square). Backs are usually 1/4" plywood set into a 3/4" deep rabbet around the cabinet back to leave room for 1/2" French cleats to be inset flush with the cabinet sides and the wall they hang on. Here are a few SketchUp drawings showing the method; see my Cabinet Plans Album for different views for both base and wall cabinets. The plans shown here are for a typical 18" x 30" wall cabinet 12" deep -- I also design these to optimize materials. The base cabinet is for a 48" base cabinet with two sections. Obviously, these ideas can be adapted to other sizes, but these will hold any amount of weight and will be square.

Hope this helps.

Typical Wall Cabinet Side

New_Cabinet_11.jpg

Main Cabinet Carcase

New_Cabinet_2.jpg

Face Frame From Front

New_Cabinet_31.jpg

Assembled Wall Cabinet with French Cleats

New_Cabinet_5.jpg

Finished Wall Cabinet

New_Cabinet_6.jpg

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

Thanks, this has been very helpful. I think I'm comfortable that all will handle the anticipated load but I do seem to like the one suggestion; 3/4" back and sides with rabbets in the sides and pocket hole screws at top and bottom. This would give me both glue and mechanical connections with none of them being visible.

Thanks a bunch :)

Bob Hodges
<aka Durnik>

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Bob,

It looks like you got your input but I will add in just-in-case. I've built a kitchen and shop cabinets out of 3/4 plywood without face frames and been pleased with the results. I also have used face frames but you don't need them for strength if you use 3/4 plywood. I may use pocket screws on my next cabinets but used through screws - screws through the sides, in my previous cabinets. I put little dados 1/16 deep or less just to locate the parts and then drill through the middle of the dados for the screws. They are countersunk in 3/8 holes that are 1/4 or less deep. I cut plugs out of scrap to cover the screws. When the plugs are sanded flush they are not very visible. Certainly good enough for shop cabinets. For shop cabinets, I made flat panel doors of softwood and 1/4 plywood panels using a cope and stick bit on the router table. I painted them white with tinted resisthane and they were prettier than I expected. Kind of fancy for my shop.

I have a new shop to fit out and am thinking of what to do in this one. There is likely to be a wall where I located my RAS and CMS and have cabinets below them. I like to have all drawers, no shelves. I used waferboard for the base cabinet in the last shop and it worked fine. Drawers were glue and screwed softwood side hung. Dados in the drawer slides slid on hardwood rails. Moved smooth enough for me and save a bunch of money versus metal drawer guides. I had upper cabinets in the old shop but I am thinking of putting storage for hardwood above the saws in this one. I'm sure I'll fit in some upper cabinets somewhere.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've recommended a booklet (40 pages) by Mark Duginske titled "Basic Cabinetmaking". Kreg used to allow free downloads, but I'm not sure if they still do. I started building cabinets using this system and they are rock solid, square up easily and quickly.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Check into system 32 or euro style frameless cabinets. I built my kitchen using this method and it is very efficient. No dados, rabetes, etc. I don't know of a faster, more economical way of doing it.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Kreg Tools does have the booklet for sale at < $5.00 and provide a free version with a code included in new Kreg Jig purchases. Here is the link. I downloaded a copy several years ago when it was offered as a freebie.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
My standard construction is 3/4 ply sides and tops, a 1/2" dado inset 1/4' for 1/2 ply back. Pocket screw together,glue and pin if needed frame. Once the 1/2" back is placed into dado and top screwed in place, nothing is comming apart and you have the total back as a very secure place to screw thru for hanging.

Forgot to mention my FAVORITE MATERAIL is Pre finished Maple ply. Either double sided for a completely finished cabinet or single sided for completely finished interior and and outside surface ready for custom finishing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS