CA Glue Storage

Rex

New User
Rex
Any of you wizards can give up your secret on storing CA glue without the tip of the bottle getting crusty?

Ive tried a few things. Most recently I got bottles with metal tips. I coated the ends with paste wax. That worked for a little while but eventually closed up.

Any help would be appreciated

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I just usually clean the tip off with a paper towel that has a bit of acetone on it. Also I only use the CA glue in the 1oz or larger thermo-plastic bottles

Seems to always work for me

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Check inside the cap of you bottle. Some of the better brands have a wire or needle inside the cap so when you replace the cap, the needle sticks down through the opening keeping it clear. Some brands have this, some don't. The one I have right now has it and it's always open! Can't remember the brand off hand. Might be Stick Fast...

Reactions: Rex

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What brand of CA glue do you have? What size bottle?

I keep a few bottles of Titebond CA glue on hand but rarely use them. Just wipe off any wet glue residue with your finger or a little alcohol or acetone. The plastic caps have a small protrusion molded on the top inside that sticks in the nozzle when the cap is put back on. And the nozzle tip has always remained open without a crust.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Any of you wizards can give up your secret on storing CA glue without the tip of the bottle getting crusty?

Ive tried a few things. Most recently I got bottles with metal tips. I coated the ends with paste wax. That worked for a little while but eventually closed up.

Any help would be appreciated
I struggle with this too. The bottles of CA glue at Klingspor for example are excellent value, but I usually crust up the tip/ cap before it's empty. The DAP bottle of Rapid Fuse seems to work really well in staying clean, so the design matters.

I wonder if some sort of silicone cap would work.

bbrown

Bill
User
Stick-Fast CA glue makes tops that work. I've used many other brands and this one holds up best. Woodcraft sells it.

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
I use this stuff quite a bit and most every brand seems to get coated/clogged if you use the glue frequently. I keep the caps and screw on tops when finished with a bottle. I toss them in a glass jar of acetone, which dissolves the CA. I change out the tops with clean ones when they get too clogged.

Don

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also use Stick-Fast CA glue, but I bought mine from Klingspor's. I just wipe the tip with a shop towel when I'm done.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I've been storing the CA glue in a tightly sealed plastic bag and placing it in the freezer. You can use a vacuum sealer if you have one or place the CA bottle in any plastic bag. Put aluminum foil on both sides of the bag and run a hot iron over it for a few seconds and it will seal. Make sure the iron doesn't touch the plastic. I've been using the same bottle of CA glue for more than a year. Also, rather than buying "Accelerator", I put some acetone in a small spray bottle. It does the same thing with close to zero cost.

Last edited:

Rex

New User
Rex
I've been storing the CA glue in a tightly sealed plastic bag and placing it in the freezer. You can use a vacuum sealer if you have one or place the CA bottle in any plastic bag. Put aluminum foil on both sides of the bag and run a hot iron over it for a few seconds and it will seal. Make sure the iron doesn't touch the plastic. I've been using the same bottle of CA glue for more than a year. Also, rather than buying "Accelerator", I put some acetone in a small spray bottle. It does the same thing with close to zero cost.

Ive never heard of acetone doing the same thing. I'll give that a shot

Rex

New User
Rex
What brand of CA glue do you have? What size bottle?

I keep a few bottles of Titebond CA glue on hand but rarely use them. Just wipe off any wet glue residue with your finger or a little alcohol or acetone. The plastic caps have a small protrusion molded on the top inside that sticks in the nozzle when the cap is put back on. And the nozzle tip has always remained open without a crust.

I've been using glue masters in the 8oz bottle. Its much more economical than getting 1oz bottles

Rex

New User
Rex
I struggle with this too. The bottles of CA glue at Klingspor for example are excellent value, but I usually crust up the tip/ cap before it's empty. The DAP bottle of Rapid Fuse seems to work really well in staying clean, so the design matters.

I wonder if some sort of silicone cap would work.

you might be onto something with the silicone cap

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Also, rather than buying "Accelerator", I put some acetone in a small spray bottle. It does the same thing with close to zero cost.

You sure about that? Acetone diasolves cured CA glue.

I thought that acetone was just the solvent for CA accelerators, useful because it flashes off quickly and residue-free.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm an organic chemist and have asked myself the following: 1) what is CA glue and how does it cure and 2) what are the various accelerators for CA glue and how/why do they "accelerate" curing? I've found that the CA cures rapidly enough within 20-30 seconds or less and don't see a need for accelerators.

1) Usually ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate and it cures by polymerizing in the presence of moisture (moisture in the wood or moisture in the air or moisture in your skin).

2) Accelerators are often low boiling solvents that flash off quickly. That condenses moisture in the air quickly (like a rapid cooling effect on your skin).

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Maybe if one only makes projects that require using the entire container of CA glue? ;) ... Just kidding, I use the thin type and just wipe the tip off before replacing the top. It definitely crusts when I forget.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I use both thin and medium, and have only the flexible CA';s in my shop. One of the drawbacks to CA that I learned early on, was that it has no elasticity. Therefore, a project assembled with CA may have bonding failure over a long period of time, this due to the dynamic movement of the wood and the rigidity of a CA bond. I mostly use the CA as finish for the pens I make. I learned my lesson on using it as a joint bond a long time ago when I used it to assemble a mantle clock. The clock sat on the mantle over a wood stove insert In our fireplace; we used it for supplemental heat back then. One evening my brother told me he saw the top ornamentation on the clock actually pop-off the clock. Several weeks later I decided to take the clock out to the shop and repair it. The construction of the clock was the box on box typical of many shelf clock designs. When I went to pick the clock up, it fell into almost all its original pieces. I used Titebond and Allenes Tacky Glue as joint bonding agents from then on.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors