Buying new Jointer

joec

joe
User
I had a Grizzley for years and now thinking on the Grizzley G0495. Any opinions out there on this machine? Any other brand I should consider?

Monz11

New User
Monica
Joe, woodcraft has 10% off Jet & Powermatic for Back Friday. The Powermatic helical head, 8" parallelogram is a nice machine. And JPW is offering a $250 gift card to boot!

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve got a 6” Powermatic with helical head. Bought it from someone on NCWW for a great deal. I Couldn’t afford it new but if you can it’s phenomenal. That said, I’ve never had issues with any Grizzly equipment in the past but I’ve never used the one you mention.

joec

joe
User
I have almost decided on the Grizzley 8" with helical cutterhead. I just can't see how the basic same Powermatic jointer is worth so much more money. I can afford it, but do not like spending more unless I can understand where the additional value is. It is roughly $1000 more for the Powermatic.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I don’t know if you’d have any interest, but I’m moving my machines out of storage in the next couple weeks and am going to sell my Grizzly G0490X 8” parallelogram. If interested, feel free to message and we can see about working out a deal. I’m going to a larger 12” jointer is only reason getting rid of it.

It’s been used in a hobby shop only. If not interested, certainly understand and good luck. I liked this one quite a bit and should be hooked up in a few weeks (have to get delivered by movers and then drop the electrical to it).

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have the GO490X and I have found it to be an excellent machine. As Bill suggested, whatever machine you opt to buy, I would get the helical cutter-head.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the same as Donn, mine has had some issues, all of them have been fixable. Must've been built on a Friday afternoon!

joec

joe
User
I have not found any big reasons why a Powermatic is worth so much more, so I will order the G0495X and move on to other concerns. I will use an old benchtop planer until I get this jointer up and running and then work on that. My shop is getting crowded.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I only paid $1,000 total for my PM 6” HH used. I would likely go with a different brand if I were buying new due to price. I only mentioned it since you asked what other brands to consider. I have no doubt the Grizzly you mentioned will be great as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS