Bushing Dust on Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGriz

New User
Bill
Just getting back into turning and an old problem has come up again. When sanding a pen I keep getting bushing dust on the wood. Especially when working with light colored wood. I saw a post where somebody mentioned sealing the wood with CA glue but I seem to get the dust in the wood during the "rough" sanding.

Has anybody tried putting a few coats of CA on the bushings? What's the best way to avoid the dust getting on the wood?
When I do end up with bushing dust, what's the best way to get it off? Compressed air? Wipe with damp rag? Both? A solvent?

I'm sure somebody has come up with a good way/combination to do this.....just not me....

Thanks!!
Bill G.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used DNA (denatured alcohol) before to clean the dust off with mixed results. I am open to a better way.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Once you get the pen turned to the size you want, mount it between centers to sand and apply your finish. The result is the ends are sealed and no bushing dust. You can also try putting the thin CA on before you start sanding. As Scott mentioned wipe with DNA before doing your final finish.

I have just started turning a few pens myself and I was going to try this but maybe someone else has and can tell us if it works.... Given you have turned the pen close anyway you really do not need the bushing to guide size anymore so if you had extra pen tube and to cut it into spacers and then used pen tube pieces to as bushings when sanding and finishing...

I figured it was worth the cost of the extra pen tube to try it but again maybe someone can tell me that it does or does not work that has tried it ?

BillGriz

New User
Bill
Thanks for the responses. That'll give me a few things to try.
Think I'll start with cleaning the bushings with DNA. Put a coat of CA on the bushings to seal it. Then before sanding, remove the bushings and try the spare pen tube cut to make some spacers. May be overkill but it would be nice to have a clean pen afer sanding....

Thanks again!!

Bill G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS