Burning the Mid-Night Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Just finishing up this last minute plaque for a customer. Started yesterday as a concept, started making sawdust today, and it is due tomorrow. (I better get a case of beer for this one...) The safari hat is what the Marine instructors wear on the fireing line. I had to cut it in half at a 20 degrees (not fun...) and attach it to ply to attach it to the board. I did a split-turning for the bullets used double-stick tape to hold my blank together while I turned (I honesty didn't think the tape would hold). I sprayed the background with high-luster black laquer. Taking the pictue was interesting trying to avoid my reflection. If you look above the woodburned oak plaque, you will see my nogin poking up. Whatchagonnado? Time for sleep...
Thanks for looking.

f1943fddd64c60206a25551827ca22f9.jpg

f9348ffc05c12696415f4d30b6ef8d72.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very nice. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I bet cutting that hat was fun. :confused_

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Man, cutting the hat was a pain! It is made out of plastic that is a little soft. It cuts great, but marking it to cut was tough. It would bend and flex just enough to mess things up. :BangHead: I dropped the blade over to 20 degrees on the TS, and finished the rest on the BS. I then had to sand it on the big disk sander to flush it up to the board. If it wasn't so flexable, it would have been a lot easier.

I am just really glad it is finished. :eusa_danc

manfre

New User
Manfre
If there is a next time, you should try inflating a balloon in the hat to help stiffen it up while you mark it.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Perhaps you could try attaching it to a sacrificial board and then run it through the bandsaw with the table tilted. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS