Bunk bed finished for my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
Last Fall I started work on building a bunk bed for my oldest daughter. The idea started as a simple loft bed so we can make use of the vertical space in her room. The original plan was very much like hpm67's recently completed loft. (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7203) However, it eventually evolved into what you see below. Here are some highlights:
  • Headboard and footboards are one peice (I can cut them down to two seperate bunks in the future if I really want to.)
  • The main horizontal rails use the Woodcraft bed rail fastners (so the bed comes apart).
  • The upper bunk is accessed by the bookshelf/stairs on the reading loft.
  • The reading loft has 5 "hidden" storage compartments for larger toys/stuffed animals. 4 of the compartments comprise the reading loft floor. The fifth compartment is the square, bottom stair for the stairs leading to the upper bunk.
  • The trap doors are not hinged. You open them by pulling on the rope handles.
  • The upper bunk is currently a play loft (no mattress). Hence the house facade and white fence.
CompleteSet.jpg

StorageCloseup.jpg

MikeH

New User
Mike
Re: Bunk bed finshed for my daughters

JC the bed looks awesome. You and I have been on parallel tracks the last year. See my thread here. You did I great job and I really like the hidden compartments. I was going to try something like that on my daughters, but didn't. I'm sure your daughter (s) will love it! :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
The hidden spaces are really clever. I like the whole thing, but would be a little bit worried about no "railing" on the top especially because it is a play loft. Other than that - great job :icon_thum

snojcb

New User
J.C.
There is a railing on the top. You can see it in the first picture. The only part that doesn't have a railing is the stairs - and I still might add that.

J. C.

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's really cool JC :cool:
And obviously the kids love it :icon_thum
Makes me want to be a kid again :crybaby2:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh man, I am going to start having to hide when I view this forum. If my wife or daughter see something like this I will sure have to start work on making on immediately.
That's awesome, I better your daughter loves it.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Wow way cool - storage is a great idea get a look at the doll house on the wall of the top bunk. :-D

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really neat work there, JC!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

I am sure that they will really enjoy their "new hideaway"!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Quite a loft....

Very well done, indeed.

Wayne

T

toolferone

J.C. that came out great. I remember talking with you about it. I am sure the customers are very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS