Built to last

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Do you expect that anything you make will still be around in 1000 years?

This oak door in Westminster Abbey is the oldest door in Great Britain. It was dated for the first time in 2005 by the process known as dendrochronology. A detailed study of the wooden door, which can been seen in the vestibule leading to the Chapter House at the abbey, showed that the wood was felled after 1032 CE and that the door was constructed sometime in the 1050s.

1677174768696.png

Some repairs can be seen at lower right and below the latch.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
a belt sander would take out those gouges in a jiffy, a little stain to even out the wood tones and some poly and it’s better than new! You’ll never know it’s ancient

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
This cosmetic box from the Egyptian collection in the Metropolitan Museum of Art fascinates me. It dates from around 1800 BC. It's made of cedar with ebony and ivory veneer. The hardware is silver. What intrigues me most is the construction. It uses dove tails, veneer and hide glue -- the same techniques still used in fine furniture. I can't claim the things I've built will be around in 4000 years (yet), but this gives me hope.

cosmeticbox.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If I remember, the oldest continuously in-use wood building is a temple in Japan circa 747.

It does all come down to use and wear. There are lots of centuries old furniture and boxes than just sit, never used. I suspect that box was used for one life, and then placed in a tomb for the next few thousand years. Dry storage. Turn loose a few 3-year-olds and a Jack Russel, and see how long it last :) Of course, I also wonder how long an Ikea cabinet will last just sitting in the corner.

We should look at the craftsmanship as a lesson. Copper or Bronze tools. Stones as files.

Jim, 4000 years old, but without a sales receipt you still couldn't sell it because of the ivory. We have several family pieces of ivory pre-50's that are unsaleable only because we can't prove it even though we know where our grandparents bought them. I am all for protecting elephants and walrususes, but we are stuck with nice pieces of some value we have no use for and can't sell.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I make things so they will last at least through my lifetime because I hate doing things multiple times. How long they are in use will be decided by others. I know my kids will continue to use at least a few things but how many will be up to them. I just try to make sure they won't have to replace things they like because it breaks. Making it to the grandkids homes becomes increasingly unlikely but possible. 1000 years is a long time. Likely at some point somebody won't want them any more. As long as it is not because they were not made well enough, no problem from my point of view.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I ve been to that door ........ interesting, I just assumed it was 500 years old like everything in Britain. Desert artifacts that they foind burind last longer due to the dry environment.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS