building with green oak

TBoomz

New User
Ron
What's the best sort of nail to join green oak? Plan on rebuilding part of an old barn - and want it to last.....

might do some timber framing joints [for looks, more than anything]......

what's the best "peg" wood to use and should the pegs still be fairly dry - even if I "offset" the holes.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Couple of things to think about. The tannin in green oak will cause untreated nails to react to the tannin and corrode. Also use commons instead of sinkers or box. Blunt the tip to prevent excessive cracking/splitting of the wood. Using square nails work great but you really need to treat them before using as I have never found any galvanized ones for sale. Treating-You can do this with phosphoric acid or selenium oxide(selenium oxide is the stuff you buy to cold blue metal), not the best but it does work to provide corrosion resistance, or you could do it in the oven with potassium nitrite or using sodium nitrate and sodium hydroxide combo @ 250-300f if you are into it. Me ? I use the phosphoric acid as I am impatient (nice word for lazy) and it is cheap use 15-25% give or take . Block or brace longer boards that will be appearance to minimize the twisting, or warping......... Just depends how OCD you want to be

Last edited:

TBoomz

New User
Ron
is the phosphoric acid in your average cola drink strong enuff or would I need a cleaner source,...
and where might I
get unadulterated phosphoric acid?...or would the blue metal stuff be an easier buy? Time in solution?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Buy it off amazon comes in pint or quart 14 bucks a pint 99% then just dilute to what you want. Rememebr to add acid to water not water to acid

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS