Building Shop Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
My January weekends have been partially filled with building cabinets for the shop. They are nothing fancy ... plywood boxes, pocket hole construction, and rough-lumber fronts. This was my first time building cabinets of this sort and I found it to be VERY different than "fine" woodworking which I've aspired (perspired?) to do.

The cabinets are made of 3/4" ply, the drawers are also 3/4" ply (overkill, I know, but it's what I had). The tops are double-stack 3/4" ply with a laminate applied. The drawers are using 100lb drawer slides (el-cheapo's from Amazon, work great!). The drawer fronts are the outsides of very rough boards I had mix-matched around the shop. Next up will be the drawer pulls and doors, then I move on to wall cabinets.

All in all there are 8 cabinets in total.

Photo_Jan_25_11_39_39_AM.jpg

Photo_Jan_25_11_39_53_AM.jpg

Photo_Feb_04_6_45_44_PM.jpg

Photo_Feb_05_6_50_52_AM.jpg

Photo_Feb_05_6_52_46_AM.jpg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks good to me. Good practice for kitchen and bath cabinets. Upgrade the materials and you would be there.

For shop cabinets, I like to use a layer of 3/4 plywood or waferboard (cheaper and almost as strong) topped with a layer of 1/4 hardboard edged with hardwood for the counter top. Cost is lower and I tend to mess up my countertops (it is a shop after all) so the ability to inexpensively replace the top surface is attractive. My messes are more on the workbench than the counters, however. Laminate is durable and more attractive.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice cabinets Jeremy. They look really sturdy and should hold a ton of [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] tools. I've got several cabinet/drawer units in my shop I'd like to eventually upgrade like yours.

bwat

New User
Bill
Be sure to allow cabinet space for your new Festools. Their new diy drawers fit really well.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Be sure to allow cabinet space for your new Festools. Their new diy drawers fit really well.

Those new slides look nice ... but I've already built cabinets for mine and are working pretty nice. The Festool's live on the other side of the shop in some cabinets themselves ... I'll get a picture of that uploaded (expect to be underwhelmed, they are still a WIP)

bwat

New User
Bill
Very bright and neat, great job. Plenty of cabinet vacancies for growth too! I like the rough lumber drawer fronts! Making your pulls too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS