Building Pharaoh's Chariot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A fascinating program if you have the opportunity to catch it on PBS. Lots of wood engineering and steam bending of pretty large pieces of elm and beech which were a favorite of Egyptian engineers from 2000 BC.

Check out the wheel construction, rear location of the axle, and the springy front yoke like a modern day leaf spring.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I watched this a second time, and funny thing - I was struck by how many modern tools were used. Not surprising, but somewhat dissatisfying. Would love to have seen how those pieces would have been steamed to bend them 3000 years ago. I have heard that steaming wood was unknown at that time. I suppose they might have simply boiled the wood, but even that would be a challenge. One telling comment in the show caught my attention. The narrator mentioned that the Egyptians solved all of the challenges well enough to turn chariots out by the thousands. Hmmm....

Rick M

New User
Rick
What surprised me is they used seasoned wood. It would make sense for the Egyptians to have used green wood: much easier to bend.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Curious again so I did a little sleuthing. Brown University has the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World (JIAAW).

http://brown.edu/Departments/Joukowsky_Institute/

Here's a white oak chariot build similar to the PBS broadcast. It's a good read at a leisurely pace.

http://proteus.brown.edu/fightingpharaohs10/9985

Egyptian steam bending or boiling in water is an open issue with no agreement about how they actually did it. However, it does seem clear that they made a lot of chariots to equip their armies for a strategic advantage. Not just a few one off things for the generals.

Len

New User
Len
I wonder if they steamed at all. Depending on the wood availalbe at the time, I'd think green wood left to soak in the Nile for a while should bend fairly easily. Back when I was a kid, and saber tooths roamed, we bent green witch hazel in to hoops for various things by soaking it over night.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You jest but I can't help but think that would be amazing... if I had horses.

A jest can be serious and Ben Hur would applaud you. My mules will get you around the coliseum on a leisurely ride without a speeding ticket!

rick7938

New User
Rick
You jest but I can't help but think that would be amazing... if I had horses.

We just got rid of our last horse. Believe me, it would be a lot easier on you pulling it yourself. Now I have time for woodworking instead of fence mending, pasture cutting, barn repair, hay hauling, etc. LOL. Happy Days.

Rick M

New User
Rick
We just got rid of our last horse. Believe me, it would be a lot easier on you pulling it yourself. Now I have time for woodworking instead of fence mending, pasture cutting, barn repair, hay hauling, etc. LOL. Happy Days.

Dad kept horses when I was a kid so I know what you mean. Maybe goat powered instead then I could ride around with my wood mallet pretending to be Thor... until they locked me away in a padded room somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS