Building new Shop - Contractors / Builders?

decibel

New User
Patrick
So we're closing on a new house in the next month and we'll be building a new dedicated shop. Probably looking for something around 1500 - 1800 sqft. Looks like we have a couple routes to try either a builder to do a turnkey solution (more $$$ I'm sure) or try to find on our own. Anyone had good experience with any framing crews, builders or concrete people around Charlotte? I'm trying to get a ball park figure on what it will cost but with the house market being how it is I'm sure it will be astronomical. I saw builder discount supply had a 30 X 50 1.5 story "kit" around 21K. I'd have to provide the foundation and the labor to get it framed up though. Any experience with them? I plan on doing most of the finishing work myself once the basic structure is together.

I'm excited and overwhelmed so any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of options to think about:

1. You can go conventional and stick frame it (the builder supply) framing kit.
That is a pre-packaged kit usually with trusses windows and doors (depending how much you buy option wise.

2. You could go pre-engineered metal building. This can be super fast to assemble. If you choose this option, then make sure the columns are straight and not tapered. Additionally, have those columns pre-punched with 1/4-3/8 holes so you can back frame with wood.
You can have this come with the frame door(s) and roof/gutters/downspouts. Then the erector can assemble super fast . Then you back fame conventionally. If you choose this also have the eave height @ 12', have the ceiling insulated by the erector. Need crane for this (typically a boom truck or Lull type tele fork lift).

3. You could go the route of pre panalized system. This is a wood framed system where every wall is completely made and bolted together, these can be a good deal but lead time could be long. Need crane or boom truck for this.

If you go pre panalized or Metal make sure you research the company. There are some that build crappy kits, caveat emptor.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
+1 on metal shop, unless you don’t like the looks. In my area I can get a 30x50 metal building with slab and permits for $40K.

A friend of mine spray foamed his entire building 20x30 and swears his electric bill is never over $60 in summer.

Another friend of mine showed me a brochure on John Deere pole barns. They have some that sure don’t look like pole barns!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I built mine in Lexington 2 years ago now. ITs 30 x 72, full slab, walk up attic (12 x72) Stick built with 8 foot first floor walls. I investigated metal and decided why build another building inside (adding some sort of insulation and sheathing to attach anything to inside) so I went this route. I created a drawing of what I needed and sent it to 84 lumber. They delivered everything I needed (custom engineered load bearing attic trusses also), 2 overhead doors and 2 man doors. I added 12 windows as well ( I like natural light). The lumber package came to around $14k. I hired a framing crew out of greensboro for $11k, this included all roofing as well, sheeted and dried in. The concrete was a perimeter footing slab and was around $13k. I used steel siding to cover it with as it seemed to be the most durable, maint free ( no paint) as I was originally thinking of hardi board. Added a 200 amp service, insulated and wired, I am somewhere around $53k all in at this point. that included interior ceiling in the shop (drywall, with 30+ LED fixtures) and OSB wall sheathing that I can screw anything to anywhere. the building is divided at 20 foot x 30 (garage for lawn equip etc, with dust collector , walk up attic stairs and compressor) and 30 x 52 (shop) The attic space is 12' wide x 72 long , perfect for lumber storage.

Attachments

• IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3149.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 155

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I did pretty much the same thing as Chris, lumber with Builders First Source. Mine has 10’ walls and a 700sq ft room upstairs. Did the electrical finishing, the trim and the inside painting myself. Drywall inside, 200
Amp service and a 3 phase panel. Everything with full AC. Four garage doors.

Believe my lumber + drywall supply was around 13k, paid the framers 6k. Can’t remember where the rest went, but total came to around 80k.

One of our customers just had a similar steel building put up, same size, just the shell with insulation windows and doors, nothing more $70k. This was last week.

Picture of my shop below:

F269960B-C51E-47B7-9DDA-0EFBF4DFAE0C.jpeg

Picture of the customer’s 70k steel building

05D58F38-AB76-4A8A-B8A9-3FEDB96BA24C.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I bought a kit from a local building supply company. 24x36 with 9ft ceilings. $9k for the kit, $6k for concrete (but I had a few other things included like adding a strip to my driveway), $3k for wiring. My wife's cousin built it turn-key for $4k. I had it insulated and IIRC that was $1200.

I'd do a thing or two different with the kit if I could go back but it's a good way to get it done with a minimum of hassle. I have zero complaints.

It was finished almost a year ago...... just before prices went haywire.

20200902_083008.jpg

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought a kit from a local building supply company. 24x36 with 9ft ceilings. $9k for the kit, $6k for concrete (but I had a few other things included like adding a strip to my driveway), $3k for wiring. My wife's cousin built it turn-key for $4k. I had it insulated and IIRC that was $1200.

I'd do a thing or two different with the kit if I could go back but it's a good way to get it done with a minimum of hassle. I have zero complaints.

View attachment 204571
Chris, how long ago was that.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
That picture was taken August 11th 2020 so it was finished just a little over one year ago.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

Looks like prices for a kit aren't too far off from what you paid, these are 8' walls. What company did you get the kit from?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nationally, the only real material costs that are not crazy are concrete and now wood. That said, wood is about 20% higher than precovid. Everything else is up 20-50%

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I bought mine from Kinston Builders Supply which was sold right after I got mine..... May be part of Builders discount now.

There was an upcharge for 9' walls. If you go with a package look at the details carefully... windows, doors, vinyl, shingles etc. Just be sure what you're getting.

20200809_153435.jpg

Looks like prices for a kit aren't too far off from what you paid, these are 8' walls. What company did you get the kit from?

decibel

New User
Patrick
You guys have some nice shops. I believe it will be something close to Willem's shop. The wife wants a bonus room overtop so she can banish my home theater and electronics playroom there. Any suggestions for how to find framing crews to frame it out? When you guys sent your drawings to the building supply companies did you have drawings provided or draw them yourselves? I'm not good at drawing up anything like that so I'm looking for plans online. It looks like I would want to use attic trusses if I want to do the bonus room over the shop.

For electric service if I'm having duke drop a feed to the shop do they trench to the shop or must I do that as well?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
You guys have some nice shops. I believe it will be something close to Willem's shop. The wife wants a bonus room overtop so she can banish my home theater and electronics playroom there. Any suggestions for how to find framing crews to frame it out? When you guys sent your drawings to the building supply companies did you have drawings provided or draw them yourselves? I'm not good at drawing up anything like that so I'm looking for plans online. It looks like I would want to use attic trusses if I want to do the bonus room over the shop.

For electric service if I'm having duke drop a feed to the shop do they trench to the shop or must I do that as well?
I asked the guys at 84 lumber for framing crew names and they supplied a bunch. As for the drawings, I did my own.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Any suggestions for how to find framing crews to frame it out?

Ask for recommendations at the supply houses that are giving you a material list from your plans, and drive around custom home neighborhoods (not tract built neighborhoods as those crews usually too busy or are in house crews) and stop and ask. Also join local Facebook groups for your area and post you are looking for framers. And with all of theses just be sure to get references and check on work they've done in the past.

Fred J

Fred
User
For your underground electrical service call Duke now and ask for a site visit. I know you’re still in the planning stage but it’s best to know up front because each situation is different for the price of trenching. Also, they’ll be able to tell you how long it’ll take to get a crew out there.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I asked the guys at 84 lumber for framing crew names and they supplied a bunch. As for the drawings, I did my own.
I was at a builder show yesterday and talking to 84 Lumber and they told me they actually do framing themselves, as well as other aspects of building.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
For your underground electrical service call Duke now and ask for a site visit. I know you’re still in the planning stage but it’s best to know up front because each situation is different for the price of trenching. Also, they’ll be able to tell you how long it’ll take to get a crew out there.
I called my electric company and they couldnt have been more help. The buried my line free of charge (about 250 feet) but that may been because I had a seperate service put in.

Sondiana

New User
Sondiana
I recently created an identical metal building in a similar size, just the body with windows and doors and insulation. It cost a little over 60k. This was last month. I purchased a kit from a local building supply enterprise. It was super fast to assemble. Make sure the columns are straight and not tapered if you pick this option. Ask for guidance at the supply house to build a house or any other building. I recommend you join local Facebook or Telegram groups for your region and post you are looking for framers. Look for references and check on work they've done in the past. I hope I have helped you and I wish you luck.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS