Building new Shop - Contractors / Builders?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’m building a garage/shop now. The slab was poured last week and the stem walls will hopefully be poured today (rain delay yesterday).

The two GC’s I spoke with wanted to tear down the current car port and remove the concrete and start from scratch. Both quoted 50-60k for a 26x32 garage.

I don’t want to redo the entire slab, so decided to GC the project myself. Finding contractors has been difficult, but the bigger problem has been material/manufacturing delays. Most folks are backlogged for at least 3 months.

The original truss quote was from early February. I didn’t order the trusses then because I had to wait on a varaince hearing (it was approved). When I called the truss manufacturer this past Tuesday, I was told it would be 11 weeks for trusses. The other local company told me 6 weeks until they could even get to the design. Bear in mind this is a roof with a hip on the front and gable on the back.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
You might want to consider a general contractor for your shop build. I know a lot of guys in the business and they are having labor issues. A homeowner has no pull with contractors and will have a hard time getting them to perform. Plus, bc building isnt your day job most contractors will try to take advantage of that and run the extras up. I know that’s a negative outlook on the building trades but I know from what I speak. Consider it like this: Framer A works for a production builder Who keeps his crew busy 50 weeks of the year. A home owner has no chance to hire a guy like that unless he wants the framer to show up when there is a hole in his schedule. A Gen contractor usually has trades that are dedicated to him and his work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS