Building lumber prices really are dropping

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I was about to start building a solar kiln earlier this year, but never got it started. I had made a list of materials with prices on March 25th, 2022 that I ran across. This is how the prices compare to today (9/21/2022). Both old and new prices are from Lowe's.

2x4x8' framing lumber was $7.98 now $3.98
2x4x10' framing lumber was $13.98 now $7.98
2x4x12' framing lumber was $16.92 now $9.92
2x8x8' pressure treated was $16.88 now $9.98
2x8x12' pressure treated was $25.18 now $16.47
4x4x8' pressure treated was $16.98 now $11.48
23/32" 4x8 CDX PT plywood was $74.48 now $57.68

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup nice to see it come down. I finally see 36 buck plywood. Here in Hawaii all the wood is borate treated so it is typically 20% higher in cost because of it.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I just got a price adjustment of $90 for a butcher-block counter that I bought last week (that was almost a third)

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I took this screen shot back in May 2021 when I had OSB sticker shock. Price has dropped about 70 percent since then.

Attachments

• Collage 2022-09-21 17_34_01.jpg
    Collage 2022-09-21 17_34_01.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 139

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Great for home builds. Unfortunately, the "Putin premium" is still affecting BB ply pricing and supply and will likely do so for the foreseeable future.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Be patient a huge recession is coming, the supply chain is still a mess, interest rates are rising so housing starts are just starting to decline and diesel fuel is still $5-6 per gallon. We still have a long way to go to the bottom.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Yes, I've been seeing construction pricing returning to reasonable. There's still lots of uncertainty though, so it's hard to say if the return is supply line recovery or less profit taking to ensure continued work.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Literally just got in my truck at the big box with a sheet of $10 OSB. Good timing as I’m about at the point of sheathing roof and walls on a master bedroom addition on my house.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Brad thanks for posting. Just ran to Lowe’s and grabbed some 2x’s for some rocking horses for nieces and nephews. Hope prices keep dropping!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The good news is that the prices are dropping, making it affordable to do some of the projects I have in mind.

The bad news is that the prices are dropping. New home construction pretty much stopped last year, but with the price drop, they will again start to pave over paradise. Starting about 5 years ago, farm and wood lands have been disappearing at an alarming rate around here.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS