Building Codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have given up!

How/where can you look up these so called "Building Codes"?

I happen to be in orange county, but this might be useful for others living out there.

Thanks,
Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jim,

What kind of a code are you talking about? Residential? Commercial?

There are a number of codes for each. And each area (municipality, county, state) has their own rules. One body writes this gorp as a 'building code' and then the area can adopt, modify and adopt, or completely rewrite a code; the second being the most common. I'd call your local municipal offices and ask which is accepted for where you are.

Here's a state resource for the codes. http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/engineering_home.asp

Ray

gator

George
Corporate Member
I found that I could go to my local 'inspections' department and ask questions and get the answers and help I needed. I helps if you have more specific questions, such as "how deep do the footings have to be?", "do I need pressure treated for this and such?", "can I run 'x' number of outlets in this area?". They won't design anything for you but will tell you what they will look for in any specific area. Get to know them, it helps.

George

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I got to know the guys in Raleigh during one of our building blitzes (20 homes, 5 days). They were VERY helpful and a rather nice bunch of guys.

Ray

Glennbear

Glenn
Most building officials follow the Uniform Building Code put out by the ICBO. There are regional differences but I think for the most part government agencies have gotten away from local off the wall regulations after getting hammered by builder lawsuits when they wander too far from the UBC. I totally agree with Ray and George that the best thing you can do is develop a rapport with your local officials. I did so and the county official was very helpful, even going so far as to offer to testify in court if needed when I mentioned suing the BORG contractor who erected my shop.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, so my fruitless attempts to find residential building codes on the various govt websites makes sense.

They don't make it easily available to we sneaky lawbreakers?

Jim

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
It is my experience that most of the larger municipalities in NC have adopted or will be adopting the International Building Code and its brother, the International Residential Code. These are really not codes at all but 500 pages of hard to read bs that allows each individual building official the right to interpret the code any blankety blank way he feels. I have a full set of both series including plumbing, electric, fire and building and it is a never ending challenge to figure out what these guys are going to want next!!:BangHead::BangHead:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want hardcopy of the codes, try your local Community College bookstore. We don't get much personal attention here in CLT. You guys in smaller counties got it made on this. I was told this week Mecklenburg County now has 42 full time ELECTRICAL Inspectors. They have adopted a new program for us builders where the inspection fees are either raised or lowered based on our failure rate. My last project gave us a refund of $245.00. Just remember one thing about any building code. It is NOT a design book. It is the LEAST you are allowed to build. Also bear in mind it will not tell you anything about property setbacks, maximum heights, etc. These items are usually regulated by the zoning department. Good luck. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS