Building bathroom Cabinets and made a whoops

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Started making some bathroom cabinets, then got to spraying the pieces before assembly then noticed I made one of the doors from a different wood (I think Santos instead of Mahogany),

So, Anyone think I can dye the lacquer for the lighter one to match the darker one, or just make another.
This is why you shouldn't do wood working @ night after work......... Anyway I have the best excuse........
OSR ... Over Sixty Rules ........ free excuse card ......
Any suggestions ?

BTW loving my turbine spray gun.

Attachments

• 20220121_172247.jpg
    20220121_172247.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220121_172317.jpg
    20220121_172317.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220122_202246.jpg
    20220122_202246.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't offer any help on changing the color/tone of the wood, but I would like to know more about your spray gun and what you like about it. I have a HVLP system I purchased some time ago that I use for larger projects (e.g., a set of cabinets). I'm considering getting a new gun that will work with the HVLP and use it for spraying shellac. My goal is to have a smaller gun that I can use for smaller projects.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a Spray fine unit. It is a 5 stage turbine. The 1st thing I like about it was...it is about 1/2 the cost of a Fuji 5 stage.

The psi output is between 9.2-9.5psi. consistent.
It can apply a very nice finish, what the pix shows is a 1 coat sealer and 2 coat finish on these boards.
Finish is lacquer S/W Cab acrylic solvent based.
It will spray high end Latex quite nicely, but 85% of the time I am spraying lacquer or Shellac.

What I do not like about the gun is they did not stamp the tip and rod with their size so I had to put color on them to make sure not to mix them up.
I have 1.3, 1.5 and a 2.0 tip. I can shoot latex with the 2.0 and most what I shoot finishes is with the 1.5.
I had a 2 stage before and a compressor hvlp. This is night and day by comparison. So much easier to use with much better, consistent results.
To me, the trick is trying to improve the loss factor. If the fan gets too wide you lose a lot of material to the wind. So, you dial it in to a slightly smaller fan pattern and then it will minimize that.

Of yeah the board? Ill have to make another door, just hoping some one has a better wiz-bang solution worth a try.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
If it were me, i would use new lumber to match and rebuild. Otherwise, every time I open the door I would think about the mistake and be unsatisfied regardless if anyone can see the difference.

You can always use the lumber for something else. Looks like only glue and finish at this point. Both are easily removed

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS