Building a Pergola - Updated Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
After months of planning and figuring, we got started on our new porch and patio a couple of weeks ago. I am doing most of the work except for the concrete, masonary, and roof. the masons finally got finished up today and I started on the Pergola over the outdoor kitchen area. Looking for suggestions on a finish for the pergola which is 2x8 cedar. I am thinking Flood Clear! I am also incorporating lots of wodworking into the project most of which will be a first for me to include IPE T&G flooring and the pergola. I am also contemplating a cedar T&G ceiling. The pergola is going to sit on top of the four brick columns.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!!

These are pics of the masonry and the design i started working with for the pergola.

Driveway_View.JPG

View image in gallery
Back_View1.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Building a Pergola

Personally I wouldn't finish the pergola with anything. The Cedar will take on a nice gray patina over time. If you put a finish on it, you will want to re-apply that finish at least once a year if not more often, and pergolas are a PITA to apply a finish too.

Dave:)

4yanks

New User
Willie

Personally I wouldn't finish the pergola with anything. The Cedar will take on a nice gray patina over time. If you put a finish on it, you will want to re-apply that finish at least once a year if not more often, and pergolas are a PITA to apply a finish too.

Dave:)

+1

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User

I agree with the above. Just let it go natural and enjoy your pergola. It would be a PITA to apply a finish.

Red

jhreed

New User
james

You are going to love the IPE. Same fire rating as steel and concrete.

James

Scwood

New User
BigJoe

The last I did at work had a Ipe floor and a pergola roof.We used cypress for the roof and painted it white.The Ipe floor I put down with screws.I went through about 15 countersinks!Have fun!!!!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I respectfully disagree with those who say leave the pergola unfinished. :tongue2:
I think a heavily "smoked" finish will be quite appealing. :eek:ccasion1

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice work! And just in time for the 4th! :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS