Building a fence this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am building a fence for a display the company I work for is setting up at the Southern Ideal Home Show here in Raleigh. I have found a source for kiln dried after treating (KDAT)pressure treated lumber. I want to use it to minimize twisting and bowing, and to allow it to be painted sooner. I have two questions, as I have never worked with KDAT lumber. First should I use the same type of fasteners for normal wet ACQ PT lumber- Deckmate or something like that? Second, I can't get 6X6's in KDAT, so I'll have to go with regular juicy lumber, how long should I wait to paint them, and what type of paint would ya'll recommend. Thanks, for your thoughts and advice. Dave:smile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I had thought about going that route, especially if I can't find relatively dry PT lumber, I basically have a weekend to make a 18' long, three panel fence, with a double hung gate in the center and some decorative lattice work on top of the panels. So I don't have time to wait for wood to dry enought to paint. Dave:smile:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave,

If the fence is just for the show (temporary) and you're going to paint it anyway, could you use untreated lumber?

If not, please disregard this message :redface:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
We hope it won't be temporary. Anytime we spend money to build something for these shows (2 per year) we hope to sell it, so it will have to be able to be installed in someone's yard. Thus the pressure treated lumber. Plus I sub-contract my labor to build things like this, and I only make some money if we sell it. But thanks for the advice anyway. Dave:smile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anyone have any thoughts on the type of fasteners to use? I am sure I can ask at the lumber yard, but they'll probably direct me to the most expensive product regardless if they are actually needed. Also, anyone dealt with Brooks Building Products in Raleigh? Dave:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS