Builder Recommendations

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I am planning on building a new shop in January and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a builder? I am in Greensboro.

Thanks

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Save $$$$ and pickup a few books and be your own contractor. That's what I did when I built my addition on my house. It's really not hard, just need good organizational skills.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Save $$$$ and pickup a few books and be your own contractor. That's what I did when I built my addition on my house. It's really not hard, just need good organizational skills.

I have just been down this path and very pleased with my shop. What I did was basically a hand shake agreement with my builder. I could do what I want on my own, and what he did he charged 10% onto the sub-contractor’s bill. It worked out pretty good but must confess that the only areas I saved was where I personally did the work with my own hands. Everything else, if I tried to get competitive prices to what he gave me, my costs would have been way higher. In some cases as much as 35% higher.

Also, I did 85% of my electrical myself, and my builder had his Electrician inspect and stand behind the county inspector at no additional costs.

The thing is, a successful builder who is honest, who you can trust has sub-contractor connections who are not willing to work for home owners are extremely value friendly and responds to the loyalty they have towards the builder. Then there is the construction industry right now, which is so busy, the good guys won’t even consider working for someone they do not know very well.

Good luck to the original poster.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have built a shop, added to our house and built new farm buildings and self-contracted them all. Research local codes and use best building practices and save the contractor fee.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am planning on building a new shop in January and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a builder? I am in Greensboro.

Thanks
David,
It depends on how much ability you have to be your own GC. I recently did this with my shop in Davidson county, Im pretty sure you can be your own on Guilford county as well. I designed my own shop and created my own drawings for the permit package. Any real "engineered" portions like roof trusses and OH door LVLs (read stamped by a PE) were handled by the lumber supplier based on the drawings I gave them. Mine is 30 x 72 , stick built with 6/12 pitch attic trusses on a monolithic slab. I found my own subs and it was actually a breeze. Just stand back and write checks....:) I have a good framing crew out of Greensboro if youre interested in going this route, just IM me here.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Self contracting or just building it myself has always been in the back of my mind, but I did want to get at least a few estimates just to see. It's going to be very simple and pretty small (24x28).

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Self contracting or just building it myself has always been in the back of my mind, but I did want to get at least a few estimates just to see. It's going to be very simple and pretty small (24x28).

Sometimes finding a contractor to quote is just as hard as finding the subs, seems everyone is slammed with projects now. I saved about 50% off what I was quoted by three different contractors when I did my addition.

Check around for garage builders, that's basically what a shop is. Here in the triangle we have Carolina Custom Builders that build garages, see if you can find something similar in the piedmont. That's one way to get some price ideas.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For inspiration, google "RR Buildings" and watch a build series on youtube.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
All State Building Systems. They built my horse barn when I bought my property in 2010 and my shop a couple years ago. Both are pole barn structures. They can finish the inside if you want. I chose to do that myself and save some $$. They provide engineered drawings for the permits. Flooring is concrete. They came all the way down to the Benson area and still had better pricing than most local companies I spoke with.

They are in your back yard.

I'd be glad to send you some in progress photos if interested.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks David, I tried to contact them and several others and have received no call backs. It looks like if I get a new shop I'll be building it myself.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks David, I tried to contact them and several others and have received no call backs. It looks like if I get a new shop I'll be building it myself.

You may have to call them several times for a response. Did you use their Contact Us form via email?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
You may have to call them several times for a response. Did you use their Contact Us form via email?
I have ZERO patience for that sort of thing.... if someone is that hard to get ahold of for new work, how available are they if you hire them????

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have ZERO patience for that sort of thing.... if someone is that hard to get ahold of for new work, how available are they if you hire them????

Maybe the office staff dropped the ball so no response from the owners. They also may be extremely busy building things and don't need the work, but they'll be more responsive once they have a contract and your down payment.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Maybe the office staff dropped the ball so no response from the owners. They also may be extremely busy building things and don't need the work, but they'll be more responsive once they have a contract and your down payment.
Sorry, but Im not chasing anyone to do work for me. Not happening.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I used Carolina Custom Builders for my 24x24 2-floor garage shop. I don't know if they range as far as Greensboro or not but they were easy to work with. I contracted the electrical work separately with Miller & Miller (Raleigh), also easy to work with. I wanted a lot more electrical than normal for my shop and they were fine with that.

This was all in 2012 so prices have likely gone up since then but as I recall the total job, including clearing and leveling the land came to around $40,000. I've been happy with the shop.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
That's fine and it's your choice. Anyone should be honored and humbled to do work for you!
Its purely business, if they want work, pick up the phone. If not, I move to the next name on the list. This isnt rocket science building a garage, LOTS of guys out there who can do it. And maybe Im old school, but Im not sending an email to someone about a quote either. And yes, as a CUSTOMER, contractors should be honored to do work for anyone. People seem to have lost sight of customer service anymore, there isnt any. But like I told the OP, I found someone who DID answer the phone AND showed up on time , when he said he would AND did a great job.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies. I always say in my voicemail/emails that I ma building this shop in Feb. Maybe this is why no one calls back? I think I will wait until around December to try again. I'm definitely going to go the way of being my own contractor, so I will be giving your guys a call Chris.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS