Bugs in my bowls

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I am twice turning wooden bowls from wood that has been given to me. Once turned, the end grain gets coated with Anchorseal 2 and then put in to my drying box, a converted refrigerator. I have noticed the dreaded sawdust in some Hickory I just turned and actually ran into couple of larvae while turning.

How do I kill the bugs without destroying the bowl. Seems that if I put them in a high heat environment like a kiln it would destroy the rough turned bowl. I can't anchorseal the entire thing as some of these are live edged bowls and I would not be able to get the anchorseal out of the bark.

I thought about microwaving them for a couple cycles before putting them into the drying box, but I am not sure that will kill the bugs.

Any thoughts from you experienced turners? Surely someone has dealt with this issue. As always, your thought are appreciated.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
OK-freeze them out or cook them-interesting opposite solutions. Thanks for the warning Charley, but my better half already explained how I would not be using her microwave.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Do not worry about the house microwave, just another protein source. FdA allows a specific number of insect contamination, feces and rodent hair in all foods

For example chocolate which your wife probably enjoys is allowed to contain about 30 insect parts per serving.

It seems a little gross but the harsh reality of what we eat. Honestly, I would come closer to eating a bug than Escargot which is a delicacy. I did however pass on insects (or any other food itens) the last time in China when visiting one of the now infamous Wet Markets.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I've done the MW thing on several small pieces, and have yet seen any more sawdust from them. Which has been several months. Used the kitchen one with no ill effects, but don't remember if she was home at the time.
Also have used one to dry pieces.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
OK, as suggested, I picked up a used microwave at the ReStore for a few bucks which will do me well.

Charley and Ed-I need more info on the microwave procedure. Is it the microwaves that kills the bugs or the heat? What temperature are you shooting for on your bowl blanks? My thought is somewhere around 100 degrees, but not sure if I am in the ball park, and I have an infrared gun that I can use to check the temps. Are you doing this in one extended time period of a couple hours or over several days to let the bowl blank equalize. Thanks everybody for your thoughts.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
100 degrees is too low. I try to get 140 or above, and extend the time more or less to be certain that the 140 is all the way through. 100 deg, even when all the way through the piece, will not kill bugs. How many bugs do you find living through 100 deg plus days in the Summer? It isn't hot enough to kill them. At low power settings, when the surface of the wood is 140 deg, the center has had time to heat up too, hopefully enough to kill all of them. Extend the time when dealing with larger pieces, not so much the power settings. The radiation likely has an affect on killing them, but temperature and duration at the higher temperature do make a difference. Decide on the temperature based on the size of the wood and temperatures of commercial drying/sterilizing kilns and the temperatures that they achieve.

I don't turn, but frequently use small pieces of local woods for small ornamental items like jewelry. Someone who turns may have more information for you.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS