Buckling paneling and paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Checked out an 80ish year old house this weekend. There are multiple areas of the interior wall panelling buckling and paint bubbling. They have a new roof installed and a new HVAC system. I don't think this was caused by roof leak, as most areas are located closer to floor, and there is no typical water leak discoloration.

attachment.php
attachment.php

In the one picture it's around the window area, but there are lots of spots where this is occurring not near windows so I don't think it's a window leak.

I did check behind the walls, and everywhere I checked there is no insulation in the walls. It is a very old home, so that doesn't surprise me. Attic insulation is also in poor shape and not up to current code :) Forgot to check under the house to see if any insulation present.

I'm wondering if condensation is the cause. Hot outside tempature, owner running HVAC around 70 to 72 degrees, condensation forming in walls and causing the issue.

Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts on fixing this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_8049.jpg
    IMG_8049.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_8048.jpg
    IMG_8048.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 1,282

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Daniel, I have only seen this once before and I was informed by a restoration expert that it was caused (in that house) by a broken water line that flooded the first floor. The owner tried to cover up the flooding by repainting the interior of the entire house but did not take the time to replace the damaged paneling. There may be other explanations for what caused this but you can be sure it is definitely moisture related.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've seen something that looks very much like the damage in your photos. It turned out to be termites. Damage was all low on the walls - just like your photos.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Might very well be condensation, runs to lowest point and collects. If this is for a flip, a dollar three eighty. LOTTSA money and work to correct, might not be worth it unless buying in very very very cheap

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
In that case I would cut paneling/drywall/plaster about 16" up and remove. Kill mold if it is there, most likely is and then take and send lots of pictures

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have experienced that before, with drywall painted with latex without using a primer and the work was done during high humidity.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Ok know we know why, phil has a good point about taking out 16". In case you do find mold behind the walls, if it were me, total gut, faster and cheaper in long end besides you said no insulation in walls, so you have to gut to insulate. That way any framing damage can be accessed and fixed. Room at a time this way they can move into new room while, work continues

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Ok know we know why, phil has a good point about taking out 16". In case you do find mold behind the walls, if it were me, total gut, faster and cheaper in long end besides you said no insulation in walls, so you have to gut to insulate. That way any framing damage can be accessed and fixed. Room at a time this way they can move into new room while, work continues

If it was my house that is how I would do it.

Talking to some insulation companies, they insulate by taking a piece of siding off and drilling holes in sheathing, pumping insulation in, and then sealing hole and replacing siding. Some said they would go in from the inside instead of outside but same concept. Others said won't touch house because of age and lead based paint.

I'm hoping the issue comes down to no primer used when painted and high humidity. Thanks for all the input, I'll let owner know options and go from there.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Here is my experience. My old house was built prior to 1870. It's nothing special, a true farmers house. We had that identical problem in the spare bedroom. I agonized over it for some time. We had the roof replaced from storm damage and I "assumed" it was water damage.

We finally made the decision to redo that room, new hardwoods, paint etc. I told the wife I had to tackle that piece of paneling and once we got all the furniture out, most of the paneling in the room looked like that in some place or another. I removed the paneling and the walls behind it were fine, no signs of any type of water or damage. In Fact it was what appeared to be heart of pine ship lap and in reasonably good shape.

The panels looked as though they were the cheapest thing you could buy, pretty thin and the ply's were separating. Now that could be due to humidity getting behind the panels from small cracks in the ship lap or could just be crap quality paneling that didn't hold of over the decades it's probably been on the wall. The wife wanted the ship lap so I pain painstakingly removed all the nails, and repaired and sealed it the best I could. Looks good I do have to admit.

In short the walls were fine. Your not going to know until you remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS