Buckeye Burl Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
A friend gave me a buckeye burl pen blank a while back. So, here's what I did with it. I couldn't tell how crazy it was going to look until I started sanding the finish with micro-mesh. I love the way these pen blanks hide their true nature until the polish is applied. Lot's of fun :eusa_danc. Anywho... its an american classic kit from WC. I finished it entirely with CA, applying about four layers. Polished it with MM up to 12000.

buckeye_smlr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow......nice looking pen Bob. Your finish looks fantastic. Did you have any problems with tear-out while you were turning it?

D L

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
That's a good looking pen. :eusa_clap I like the colors of the burl, nice finish.

Paul

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Man thats a beautiful Pen. I know this may be a stupid question.But what exactly is ca? And would it work on my walking sticks?

THANKS,
Robert

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Man thats a beautiful Pen. I know this may be a stupid question.But what exactly is ca? And would it work on my walking sticks?

THANKS,
Robert

CA = Cyano Acrylate (or pretty close to that) = superglue, but in quantities useful for woodworking, not the little tubes one may find in the convenience store or walmart.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
CA glue.. comes in 3 flavors. Thin, medium and thick. The thin is like water, the medium and thick is just a thicker, and slower setting varieties.

Here's one such brand. There are several

Great pen. Was it a stabilized blank? or did you CA it as you went?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks for the nice comments everybody!

DL, tearout was a problem early on, so I kept pumping it full of thin CA until it finally settled down ;-). One of these days I gotta learn how to stabilize blanks before I start turning. They cost too much if you buy 'em pre-stabilized.

Last edited:

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Great looking pen. :icon_thum I’m still working on that CA finish:BangHead:, I’ll get it right someday.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
buckeye_smlr.jpg

I don't turn much of anything that hasn't been cut up and reglued.Your pen is a good example as to why.
That which is hidden beneath the surface is never duplicated in the next piece I turn.
I love surprises but, I could turn a hundred pieces of this and not find one as nice as this one, you did it proud!
A Word about WC kits.
For the most part they don't offer better platings such as Tn and are over priced to begin with.
I am sure Berea offers this same kit in Tn gold which will not wear off as this one will eventually.
Arizona Silouhette or Beartooth woods probably offers this same exact design in a better plating for a little more than the WC kit but a much better life expectancy.
One suggetion.
When you are dhowing off your work, post the picture directly in the post rather than asking the viewer to click to you album.
I normally don't bother to go one more click, but this site is like family.I have had the pleasure to meet many of you and hang around because I believe I will get a chance to meet many more.
When you are proud of something such as this beautiful pen, SHOW IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks Eagle. I have started to think about the plating lately, but I have some old kits to use up until my order arrives. Craft Supply has a plating 101 section in their catalog. Now I can see why 10k is better than 24k for pen plating and rhodium and titanium are even better yet :icon_thum .

As far as the pic, I just read a post by Steve Coles that asked us not to use the attachment method. But, I can't figure how to make my photos show up without it :-( . I like having the photo inline as well :) .

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bob, when you have the photo in your gallery, it is simple to just highlight the line labeled BB Code, and copy and paste it into the pop-up box that opens when you click on the 'insert image' icon. Instant in-line pic :)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Return the WC kits for credit.
Don't let them say the plating is guaranteed.To dimantle the pen you have pictured because of the plating can ruin the pen because of the CB.
Maybe they will get the message and offer better platings.
When people stop buying high priced junk maybe they will offer AFFORDABLE kits in better platings.
But, I can't figure how to make my photos show up without it :sad: . I like having the photo inline as well :smile: .
As for the picture you already did the hard part.You uploaded it to your album.
Now click on the picture and enlarge it.
Right click on that and pull up the properties.
Copy the address of the photo by highlighting it (the address) and hit CNTRL "C" you have captured the address.
When you make your post hit the little window with the picture frame in the tool bar on the reply frame.
Now enter the address by hitting cntrl"V" when the pop up pane appears.
That's it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS