BS tires? when to replace?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who provided ideas on replacements bearings for my BS - I found some locally at an Ace hardware (thinking I was going to a Town & Country). So I have replaced the bearing.

Now to understand why the tires on my BS are slipping off. Is it time to replace those? That's not a task I enjoyed when I did this the first time (10 years ago?). The tires are a bit beat up but not in bad shape really. Is the only option to replace when they are 'loose fit?'
Jet 14" BS", vintage blue, open frame, .... only one I have used. 1/2" or 3/8" 3TPI blade on there for everything I do.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Just a question - are the existing tires rubber or are they urethane?

If rubber there it may be possible to reglue them. If urethane, and it was me, I'd replace them. Actually, if it was mine I'd replace the tires whatever they are made of and be done with it for the next 10 years.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Henry, do your wheels have a crown on them? If not, you would have to crown the tires. Delta and other smaller bandsaws usually have a crown built in, but I don't know about the older Jets. I have a General 15" and when the original tires came loose, I bought and installed a set of orange urethane tires. They came off and I bought some rubber tires and glued them on. So far no problems. The urethane tires were substantially more expensive than the rubber ones.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS