BS cut quality

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Infinity seems to have a 3/4 hook rip. All the rest are Olson. Their writeup sounds good.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Woodslicer on my 14” grizzly cuts about as smooth as glass……..about $35

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Scott, give them a call, Contact Us to discuss your BS needs
I will.
I run 125 inch so it is a little more expensive than other 14 inch saws, but really, a few bucks difference in the band is lost in the noise with a machine costing over a grand and wood that costs an arm and a leg.

Yes, seeing others cuts "smooth as glass" is why I am looking.

More testing: Went through all my bands this morning, tweaking them the same. Of the three from Sawblade.com 1/4, 3/8 came out useable, but not happy. The 3/8 is a hook 6 TPI according to the label, but hard to see. 1/4 strait 10 TPI. Almost no difference in cut. Their 3/4 is another issue. Wobbles front to back as well as side to side even with massive tension. Basically unusable. Maybe keep for slabbing green wood.

I do not actually know who's band I tuned the best. A 3/8 strait 6 TPI.

So, going to order some bands. 3/8 and 3/4.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
To boot, their customer feedback form is not working.
Just sent a message asking about bandsaw blades and it worked for me...
1631632347494.png

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I'll try again. It had the Capacha "test" up. Maybe one of my pop-up blockers stopped it.

mpeele

michael
User
If you want a smooth cut surface use a variable pitch blade with a Goldie Locks feed rate, not too fast, not too slow but just right. Listen to the saw, it will scream at you when you are doing it wrong.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Looking at specs and advice above, starting at the 3/4 resaw function, realizing everyone has their favorite and it is not a consensus. All are a variable pitch 3-4 or so TPI. Each has a story about how great they are.
Highland Woodslicer
Infinity Rip
Spectrum Kerfmaster
Timberwolf Resaw
And the only carbide .025 or thinner is the Laguna ResawKing.

Still collecting data on 3/8 and 1/4 general purpose.

mpeele

michael
User
Timber Wolf has a 1/2" 2/3 pitch. I use that for re-sawing over 6 or so inches. If I'm slicing thin, 1/16 or less I use a 1/2" 3/4 pitch Woodslicer. For re-sawing heaver stock I use 1/2 2/3 pitch timber wolf because finish does not matter because its going to get planed anyway. About carbide. At a TWA meeting we had a speaker that worked in Desert Iron wood. He was asked about carbide band saw blades. His answer was that he had used them but didn't buy them anymore because all throw they last longer they were not as economical as bi-metallic blades and didn't cut any better or faster.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Took a new Sawblade.com 1/4 6 TPI strait. Three passes against the workbench with a 325 diamond stone. Almost paper smooth. Still cut like butter. So, for sure, it is the set. But it tells me even a cheap blade can cut. Just have to hone it.
I will have the samples at the picnic. Leaving it on the saw until I get the ones I ordered.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A little more tweaking. Can still do a 7/8 radius easy. Maybe tighter. Just did a 3/64 slice off a 1x6. Quite happy with the results. Over on LJ, I was pointed to a video where he honed it in-place running. I tried that, but the results were about half as good as doing on the bench where the band was backed up by a block of wood.

I consider the tool trustworthy now. So any success is of course my great skill. NOT. But now at least I know any failure IS my fault.

So in the last few months:
I can now trust my BS, dovetail saw, coping saw, chisels, planes, sharpening system, workbench and greatly improved dust collection. Actually getting close on the miter saw dust collection but that will be a totally different write up. Finally got to test the pre-cat lacquer primer. Really like the results, but the fumes are brutal. Glad I build my outside bench, but it does outgas for a while. Not sure I can use it for my kitchen cabinets that have to be done in situ. I have squares that are square. Marking gauge I can work with. Turned an old paring knife into a nice bench knife.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
A little more tweaking. Can still do a 7/8 radius easy. Maybe tighter. Just did a 3/64 slice off a 1x6. Quite happy with the results. Over on LJ, I was pointed to a video where he honed it in-place running. I tried that, but the results were about half as good as doing on the bench where the band was backed up by a block of wood.

I consider the tool trustworthy now. So any success is of course my great skill. NOT. But now at least I know any failure IS my fault.

So in the last few months:
I can now trust my BS, dovetail saw, coping saw, chisels, planes, sharpening system, workbench and greatly improved dust collection. Actually getting close on the miter saw dust collection but that will be a totally different write up. Finally got to test the pre-cat lacquer primer. Really like the results, but the fumes are brutal. Glad I build my outside bench, but it does outgas for a while. Not sure I can use it for my kitchen cabinets that have to be done in situ. I have squares that are square. Marking gauge I can work with. Turned an old paring knife into a nice bench knife.
If you want to exhaust fumes from your kitchen I just happen to have a strong explosion proof fan with a twenty foot flex duct. You can borrow if you want

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you want to exhaust fumes from your kitchen I just happen to have a strong explosion proof fan with a twenty foot flex duct. You can borrow if you want
Much thanks. I'll remember that. Have to wait a few weeks until the weather is cooler.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS