BS blade tracking hinge

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
After removing the riser from my Delta 14" BS I found a problem with the tracking hinge. It is hitting the edge of the hole where the wheel shaft comes through the rear guard. There are two bolts which screw into the upper frame. I removed the two bolts and placed two washers so they were on the bolts and between the guard and frame. This created enough space for the hinge to clear the guard. It also brought the wheel closer to the guard. When the wheel is adjusted for blade tracking the wheel is riding against the rear guard. I move one way and it binds the hinge. I moved the other way and it binds the hinge. When I force the hinge past where it is catching the back of the guard is pushed in causing contact with the wheel and the hinge is wedged in so tight you can not adjust the tracking.

The hinge and wheel shaft are from Iturra BS Accessories. They are made for this BS. The two holes on the back of he frame are where I had a Carter quick release installed.

I do not know what caused the problem and can not figure out how to fix it.

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0174.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Let me get this right. Your problem is a little corner of sheet metal is in the way? Grind, file, saw, chew it clear. It is a hole. Make it bigger.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Let me get this right. Your problem is a little corner of sheet metal is in the way? Grind, file, saw, chew it clear. It is a hole. Make it bigger.
I thought the same thing at first. Wish it was so easy. If I go higher it wedges between the guard and the sliding bracket making it impossible to adjust the trcking.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think I can see better. I would trim the hole corners to clear the hinge. Take out the washers. You have moved the wheel out of the same plane as the lower wheel, so it will take more tilt.

mpeele

michael
User
Nut should be in the slide back off until the square nut can find it place in the slide. There should be a red washer between the spring and nut to use with tension marking on slide.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I think I can see better. I would trim the hole corners to clear the hinge. Take out the washers. You have moved the wheel out of the same plane as the lower wheel, so it will take more tilt.
I have already removed the washers.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Nut should be in the slide back off until the square nut can find it place in the slide. There should be a red washer between the spring and nut to use with tension marking on slide.
The spring just happened to be located there when I took the picture. The spring is new. The old one was compressed over 1/2".

mpeele

michael
User
This is what it should look like. Notice where my nut is, that is where your's need to be.

Attachments

• IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 192

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
This is what it should look like. Notice where my nut is, that is where your's need to be.
[/QUOT
IF I was increasing the blade tension by turning the threaded rod the nut would move up into the sliding bracket and start compressing the spring while moving the wheel up. I had just put everything back together and had not run the nut up the rod, into the sliding bracket, when I took the picture.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Are you sure the hinge part is not bent? Take it or t and lie it flat. They are notorious for bending if the blade is overtensioned, being zamak and all. I bent mine and had to replace it. I've heard the failure mode of Chinesium BS hinges is just to shatter, but USA made ones will bend (but never bend back).

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks, one of the things I should have checked first but still not the problem. The tracking hinge I have came from Iturra Design. They make this hinge. It is made from solid aircraft grade aluminum. It is made to handle the higher tension springs being made now.

As an aside if you do not have the Iturra catalog you should order one. Not only is it a catalog it is a history book with many interesting stories including the history of Delta. There is also a lot of educational info.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
As an aside if you do not have the Iturra catalog you should order one. Not only is it a catalog it is a history book with many interesting stories including the history of Delta. There is also a lot of educational info.
Found this PDF Link - guessing it is not ALL of the catalogue you mention, but what little I have read so far IS very interesting!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did a light web search and found nothing ( as many on SMC and other WW site said)
I found this on The Home Owners Hub:
"Iturra Design Jacksonville 904-642-2802 888-722-7078"

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
That is the correct number, 904 642 2802. Louis Iturra will probably answer the phone if you call. He has answered every time I have called. Sorry, I did not realize finding his info would be hard. The info was provided to me by a member of NCWW. Do not remember who. Mr Iturra has helped me a lot. One time he sent me parts I had not paid for just to make sure I had what I needed. I have tried not to call him on this problem because I think I have bothered him enough.

How is your hand doing?

Jeff Hodgkinson

New User
Baghdaddy
After removing the riser from my Delta 14" BS I found a problem with the tracking hinge. It is hitting the edge of the hole where the wheel shaft comes through the rear guard. There are two bolts which screw into the upper frame. I removed the two bolts and placed two washers so they were on the bolts and between the guard and frame. This created enough space for the hinge to clear the guard. It also brought the wheel closer to the guard. When the wheel is adjusted for blade tracking the wheel is riding against the rear guard. I move one way and it binds the hinge. I moved the other way and it binds the hinge. When I force the hinge past where it is catching the back of the guard is pushed in causing contact with the wheel and the hinge is wedged in so tight you can not adjust the tracking.

The hinge and wheel shaft are from Iturra BS Accessories. They are made for this BS. The two holes on the back of he frame are where I had a Carter quick release installed.

I do not know what caused the problem and can not figure out how to fix it.

View attachment 199751

Jeff Hodgkinson

New User
Baghdaddy
The adjustment hinge is a weak link in the Delta BS. I went to a Delta dealer here in Portland oregon and purchased a new one for $90. Look them up on the web.

Hall tool company, Portland oregon.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
You are absolutely correct. I have the Iturra Design catalog open to page 66 on my desk. In bold black letters it reads "Delta's Weak Link". Several pictures show screwed up original Delta hinges.

Delta no longer makes this part. A good source for discontinued Delta parts is Renovo Parts. They have been very helpful to me. The new Delta, located in Spartanburg, SC may start making this part again. I am sure if they do it will be with inferior metal in China.

Unfortunately changing the hinge did not solve my problem. I am at a complete loss on what to try next. I have removed the riser and quick release trying to remove all variables. Really did not expect these changes to help.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've been following this and can't come up with a solution that sounds good.
I'm wondering about blade length. Too long of a blade will make the top carriage ride significantly higher. While a blade seller says the blade is a certain length, if you're having troubles, maybe double check to see if the seller didn't make a packing error. 92-1/2" for the regular and 105" for riser rigged saws.

Jeff Hodgkinson

New User
Baghdaddy
I replaced the tires on my delta 14" BS as well as the hinge, but the wheel still rubbed when I adjusted the tracking. Then I went to Barbo machine in Portland oregon, and they hooked me up with the correct blade. That made all the difference in the world. Saw runs fine now, but I still have trouble with the table trunion coming loose.

I guess the old saying is true, you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS