Broken Tooth

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The side of the blade we are looking at faces the left when mounted and is inside the dust collector shroud and away from the fence. There is a relatively small gap between the blade and that side of the shroud. The thin offcut would have been on that left side of the blade during the cut. The Z shaped marks on the blade would have been made right to left given the blade's rotation direction.

Inspecting the inside of the shroud a few minutes ago shows a thin scrape matching the right hand side of the Z shaped scrape on the blade and shaped like the far right hand beginning of that scrape, making 1 right angle turn towards the hub and then leaving a small divot consistent with getting jammed between the blade and the shroud. It then likely stayed there until it hit that hole at the end of the scrape pattern and was then ejected.

The line going around the blade at the base of the teeth is just sawdust. The blade could have used a good cleaning. I can scrape that off with my fingernail and the blade coating is undamaged. The shiny spots are level with the surface of the blade and perfectly even with the surface of the teeth. I don't know why those spots are shiny but they do not appear to be signs of any damage. In fact, further fingernail scraping indicates those spots are just clean spots not as dirty as the rest of the tooth.

All that adds up to the blade damage (other than the chipped tooth) being caused by the piece broken off the tooth richocheting around before flying out. Not particularly surprising. As for what caused the tooth on a 7 year old blade to chip, I really don't think there's any way to tell at this point.

I can tell which board I was "jointing" because of blade kerf differences between the damaged one and the one I used to complete the cut. It looks like the board was clear at the end of that first cut. No knot. No anything. No clues there.

It happened, I didn't get hurt, it got my attention, and the proper safety gear is now being religiusly worn.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
What is the proper safety gear for what is basically shrapnel?
When I rip a short board I usually stand to the side and push. Can't do that with a long one. This thread gives me pause.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
What is the proper safety gear for what is basically shrapnel?
When I rip a short board I usually stand to the side and push. Can't do that with a long one. This thread gives me pause.

Seriously, for the lathe and now the table saw I wear a leather shop apron and a hard hat with the internal supports reversed for brim rearward with a full face shield mounted on it.

For noxious spraying or sanding or even grinding I use a 3M full face respirator with appropriate cartridges.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The carbide might have been cracked by a previous contact with a nail and it took a little bit more cutting for it to fail.

My normal glasses are safety lenses. I do not have side shields, however, so they are not as safe as they could be. But this is all I use at home (with hearing protection). I do not stand behind the cut, however. I've never had the board I was cutting come back but have had an offcut thrown backwards and I don't want to be in line for that.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Because it is a Freud blade, contact them about examining blade and repair if possible. Replacing broken carbide teeth is a normal operation at almost all sharpening services. I had a NEW Forrest WWII hit a hidden SKU staple in the end of a piece of wood, and it lost three teeth.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Because it is a Freud blade, contact them about examining blade and repair if possible. Replacing broken carbide teeth is a normal operation at almost all sharpening services. I had a NEW Forrest WWII hit a hidden SKU staple in the end of a piece of wood, and it lost three teeth.

Thanks, but I've already replaced the blade with a new one. The broken blade is 6 years out of warranty. I got my money's worth out of it. For me it isn't worth messing with.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks, but I've already replaced the blade with a new one. The broken blade is 6 years out of warranty. I got my money's worth out of it. For me it isn't worth messing with.
Actually it's still under warranty if you are the original purchaser. Freud's power tools carry a one year warranty, but blades carry a satisfaction guarentee to original purchaser

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS