Broken Stanley Block Plane

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I've got a Stanley low angle block plane that has a broken front toe plate. I believe it's a model # 65 because of it's size--6 1/4" sole, 7" oal including depth adjustment screw. The adjustable toe plate is supposed to have a threaded brass stud braised to it that is tightened by the front knob. The stud has broken off. I need a place to take it to and get it repaired, preferably in the Asheville area. Thanks.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Wiley,

I'd suggest you try to find an identical plane on eBay that is fair-priced that you could re-purpose the parts you need. If you got lucky, you might even find a broken one that has the part(s) you needed. Or, just replace it with another.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had the same issue happen a few years ago. I dropped the plane on a concrete floor. It landed straight on the toe and the stud popped off. It's not an expensive plane (bought mine some time in the 80's), but I really like it. Anyway, took it to a local machine shop to see if they could re-weld the stud. They said they would try and expressed their doubts. When I went to pick it up they had instead added a new stud by drilling/taping the toe plate. This is not a great solution and I don't recommend it. However, after sanding the sole back completely flat the plane works fine. I still use it.

I think my real problem was the guy I took it to didn't really understand planes and the importance of a flat, smooth sole. I'd look for a machinist who could re-weld the stud. Seems it should be doable. You may have to re-flatten the sole when you get it back.

Mauser44

New User
John
Had a similar mishap with a plane I was restoring... ended up buying the bed for real cheap on ebay.... I know you wanted a recommendation but unless is it done right, not sure it will work as intended

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A new Stanley low angle block plane is only about $60. I wouldn't fiddle around fixing the broken one for that much!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
As Chris said, "Pics?" I thought the knob and threaded stud were machined from a single piece, like the 9½, 60½, & others.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Pics have been requested. Not shown is that there is no vertical angle adjustment at the rear, just the blade depth adjuster as shown. If you can positively identify what model this is and maybe date it, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 149

nn4jw

New User
Jim
It looks like this one on eBay, Stanley model G12-060, to me. Not expensive enough to fix. Easy to replace. See if that G12-060 is stamped on the low side towards the rear. If that number is stamped on the side then it's probably the made in UK version of the 12-920 and available from the UK on Amazon. If there is no number I'd guess it's the 12-920 and can be ordered from Ace Hardware.

Both of those options are less expensive than buying the Sweetheart version, which I have and use.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being a newer version, unless there's a sentimental attachment, you'll be better off trying to find a replacement foot, or buying a new block plane.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Can't help with that one... Sorry. I have a stash of parts but none that will fit that particular plane.

Another vote for replacing but I'd be looking around for a vintage one. Old Stanleys can usually be found for $10 or less.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Pics have been requested. Not shown is that there is no vertical angle adjustment at the rear, just the blade depth adjuster as shown. If you can positively identify what model this is and maybe date it, I would appreciate it.
Looks like a #60 1/2 to me. I would look for a similar vintage model as they have a larger bed upon which the blade rests.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
This thread sent me surfing on eBay. Who knew there were so many models of Stanley block planes. I found a Stanley Model 12-960 with 4 characteristics that match what I have. It's made in the USA and I can buy a new one for $50. Haven't located a replacement toe plate anywhere or anyone on NCWW who does this type of work. I'm going to ask around town for a metal sculptor or jewelry maker who can do a delicate brazing or welding without warping the sole plate. Thanks.

gritz

New User
Robert
This thread sent me surfing on eBay. Who knew there were so many models of Stanley block planes. I found a Stanley Model 12-960 with 4 characteristics that match what I have. It's made in the USA and I can buy a new one for $50. Haven't located a replacement toe plate anywhere or anyone on NCWW who does this type of work. I'm going to ask around town for a metal sculptor or jewelry maker who can do a delicate brazing or welding without warping the sole plate. Thanks.
Patience wins when looking for parts on e-bay.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20200703_122716.jpg

$5.00... a nice vintage Millers Falls #17. Not low angle but still a nice plane. The woods are full of old block planes and they just don't bring a lot of money. I was looking for you a donor but didn't see one. I'll keep my eyes open...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS