Brain Check Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I've been asked to do a pet urn (dog) for a friend of our daughter. I asked her to find a couple on line that she likes so I can get a feel of what she wants as far as style.

Now, I have found that the recommended size for urns is 1 cubic inch for each pound of live weight. Unless I have missed something changing in how stuff is calculated, cubic inches are W X L X H???

All of the urn vendors I have found on line have some different method of calculating.
Here's an example from memorials.com:

Product Details:
  • Size: 6.8" W x 3.5" D x 5" H
  • Capacity: 48 cubic inches
My ciphering says that should be 119 CI

This example is typical of all the on line urn vendors.
So, what am I missing, or am I just plain stupid??? (or both) :gar-La;

Go ahead and embarrass me, I can take it...:eusa_thin

Thanks

Ken

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Volume is unique to the internal shape. Just break it down in to the simple sections and add them up. Assuming uniform thickness of piece you could measure the outside and subtract the doubled thickness Here are some of the basic volume formulas.

Volume of a cone =

Volume of a sphere =

Volume of a pyramid =

Volume of a cube =

Volume of a cuboid(rectangle) =

Volume of a cylinder =

Volume of a prism =

Where
V = Volume
B = Base size
h = height
r = radius
π = pi = 3.14159265....................

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
If it is to be a turned urn, here's a reference alot of us can relate to:

A 12 oz beer can is 21.5 cubic inches

:gar-Bi

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
After you get the math straight. The easiest way to verify that your internal dimensions are correct is to use a corresponding volume of dry rice. You will never fall short. BTW A simple way to add threaded insert on the base is to use a cut down sch 40 screw fitting.(edit never mind the fitting you aren't turning this)

Glennbear

Glenn
If it is to be a turned urn, here's a reference alot of us can relate to:

A 12 oz beer can is 21.5 cubic inches

:gar-Bi

I knew a fellow VA woodworker could break things down into a practical example. :rotflm:

PS - For me that would have to be a soda can since I am not a beer drinker. :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS